1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Quality Manager role - how long to stay in one company?

Discussion in 'Other Quality and Business Related Topics' started by Maja83, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Maja83

Maja83 Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm facing a dilemma and need some advice. How often do you change work and what is the key reason?
    I have been with my company for 10 years and like people working there and environmental. However after implementation of HSEQ systems it is just a matter now of maintaining it what does not necessary expose me to any new challenges or allow to learn much.
    There is always dilema to face new challenge or say under cosy blanket? What are your thoughts?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

"A person never leaves a bad job, they leave a bad boss" is a true statement. If your boss isn't providing development for you or challenges which stretch you then ask why.

3. Maja83

Maja83 Member

Interesting approach. Boss is a friend in a way admitting that there is no career path with the company other than continuation with what has been established already. Most of the Quality individuals working as Managers tend to move after 3 to 5 years with the company so is it because of the boss or experience?

Is it better to be a manager or consultant?

4. Andy Nichols

Impossible to answer. What are your career goals? Aspirations? What are you good at? Some might say there's zero difference between the two roles, except the employment contract.

5. Pau Calvo

Pau Calvo New Member

This is a no easy decisions, it involves several factors as personal circumstances, work sector, country...

If you don't have any personal impediment I would suggest to first check which is the scenario on other companies, you could check in LinkedIn which are the jobs open, what they offer and ask...
    Never be afraid to take a look and be open for proposals.
    Then if you find a new project that is more attractive go for it, if you are rejected you do not lose anything.

Of course there is always a risk but the benefit is there for the ones that take the risk.

Again, this is very personal matter but never be afraid of the changes.

Best luck

6. Maja83

Maja83 Member

Thank very much for the response. I have several some offers on a table but perhaps is always sad to leave after 10 years and close the chapter.

7. Maja83

Maja83 Member

Perhaps the difference is that manager resolves the issues and consultant only advises what to do or how it to be done. Hard to say about goals I like to learn about different companies, approach, quality tools used etc plus like working with people rather than be involved in a constant battle?

8. Andy Nichols

Then maybe you could start with that?

9. Maja83

Maja83 Member

Well main one is personal satisfaction other relevant to qualification and experience are also there

10. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

I agree with Andy. Start with your goals. Do you want to advance to higher levels of management, increase the scope and challenge at your current level, try something completely new? What makes your job enjoyable? Are you driven by money or a sense of accomplishment? If it is simply learning, you can do that without changing jobs by taking advantage of online resources.

One thing to consider before deciding: Only a few companies have a culture that truly empowers you. There are also a few that are truly toxic and will tear you down quickly. Most are somewhere in between and have a wide range of barriers to your performance. The same exists with bosses. Bosses and company cultures have the biggest impact on whether you are happy in your job. Unfortunately, it is often difficult to tell before it is too late.

11. Wins Letshawn

Wins Letshawn New Member

It's a temp job where I can be released pretty much anytime...it is not a long term contracted assignment. The agency never said a full time position was going to be offered, but the company the motor trader agency hired me for does have a slew of salaried employees within my same department. I don't plan on resigning right now I'm just looking down the road...naturally noone wants to be a temp for an extended period of time. It's a waste of time once you have learned everything you can so there has to be some sort of goal or plan.

12. QA.healthtech

QA.healthtech New Member

Hello everyone!

I am excited to be here. I have been educated with various topics bein discussed on this platform. For question, 2 Maja83; A happy worker is a productive worker. I think the best you should do is to go for that which will make you happier and subsequently more productive. I believe you know yourself better.

13. Andy Nichols

Welcome! This is a great point to be made. What have you found makes a "happy worker"?