1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Question about Section 8.3.4 Rework

Discussion in 'US Medical Device Regulations' started by MIGUEL LUNA, Jan 6, 2020.

1. MIGUEL LUNA

MIGUEL LUNA Member

If a rework (a sorting of product within a lot) is performed in the Quality Lab. therefore lot traceability and control was under control by the same qc person that discovered a defect and they perform 100% sorting on that same lot does the lot really need to go thru a re-verification process by another qc person? I say no... cause I have controlled the lot and the 100% re-inspection was performed by a quality team member. ??

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Welcome Miguel.

I deleted your other post in the new member introductions because you posted the above. Are you asking in respect to US Medical device regulations?

3. yodon

yodon Well-Known Member

Unless I'm not understanding, I would argue that your sorting is not a rework process. The QSR defines rework as "action taken on a nonconforming product so that it will fulfill the specified DMR requirements before it is released to production." What actions are you taking on nonconforming product?

Andy Nichols likes this.
  4. MIGUEL LUNA

MIGUEL LUNA Member

yes and also specifically to ISO 13485 section 8.3.4

5. Andy Nichols

Per Yodon's previous post, sorting isn't usually considered "rework". Typically, rework means performing some type of value-added activity on a (non-conforming) product to bring it into conformity with the agreed specifications/customer requirements. Usually, this rework is performed using an agreed upon method (maybe a work instruction) and then the results are re-inspected to ensure the specification has been met. This rework may or may not be agreed/authorized by the customer.

6. MIGUEL LUNA

MIGUEL LUNA Member

The only thing we (quality) would be doing with the lot is sorting out the bad from good parts and scrapping the bad parts.

7. MIGUEL LUNA

MIGUEL LUNA Member

I have read in other forums that have stated: Auditors/Inspectors classify a sort as a form of rework because we are doing to something with the lot to move/accept the lot to next operation.. we are not "rebuild" ing the non-conforming product. But MRB will review the lot and disposition "Rework to Sort" the lot. hope that helps for clarity.

8. Andy Nichols

Yes. Often auditors/inspectors get it wrong. "Sorting" means separating out the good from the non-conforming. What you do to the non-conforming products is rework.