1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

ISO 9001:2015 vs API Q1

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by JA.4.1, Dec 6, 2019.

1. JA.4.1

JA.4.1 New Member

We are a manufacturing company for Oil & Gas. We recently received our ISO 9001:2015 Certification and we are looking to acquire the API Q1 Cert. I am reading they are basically almost the same, is it even worth it? I cannot find an honest answer unless we spend over $500 on training or counseling. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

JA: Did you buy both standards?

3. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @JA.4.1 and welcome to the site.

I don't believe we can answer that for you/your organization. This is something the organization will need to determine.

I would first ask WHY "we are looking to acquire the API Q1 Cert" ??

In other words, as with certification to ISO 9001 or any other standard, I would hope an organization always/first establishes a purpose. Without an established purpose/goal, how will the organization be able to judge if the activity/time/expense resulted in achieving the intended pre-established purpose/goal?

So, "WHY" "...are looking to acquire the API Q1 Cert" ??

JA.4.1 likes this.
  4. JA.4.1

JA.4.1 New Member

Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the quick response. Our sales department mentioned that our clients asked if we were "API certified". We machine some API threading and use API based gauges here and this pretty much where we would benefit. Since the ISO 9001 covers a big chunk of the API Q1, I just feel like we might have wasted our efforts and money acquiring ISO when we could have gone directly to API Q1. Is there a huge benefit from having both API Q1 and ISO that i am not seeing? I understand there is a yearly fee for both. Sorry I am new to this and I am learning. Thanks to all.

5. JA.4.1

JA.4.1 New Member

I only bought ISO 9001:2015, we are looking into API Q1. Not sure if I should buy since it sounds similar.

6. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Then you'll never know if it is or isn't! Relying on asking people is unreliable. You don't know who is tell you the "truth". Buy the API standard, set them side by side and gain a practical knowledge, so you can become the authority in your own organization. Heresay, is just that.

7. JA.4.1

JA.4.1 New Member

Very True thanks for your input.

8. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Also, keep in mind that full or partial integration is a common and (in my experience a BEST practices) viable approach. IF your organization has a purpose to maintain both standards ...
    (keep in mind that Sales people often simply want be please and tend to acquiesce to an inquiry [" ... clients asked if we were "API certified...] vs a requirement. I notice you did not state that the clients REQUIRE API certification),...
    then it would not be wise to duplicate processes that are or can be communized between the two standards. Change point control, control of non-conformances, corrective action, established roles and responsibilities, etc..etc..etc.., generally have similar requirements across numerous standards. So IF your organization determines to maintain both, integration into a common system would likely serve you well and eliminate duplication/redundancy/contradictions.

Food for thought.

Be well.

9. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

They have a lot of common requirements. However, API Q1 has more prescriptive requirements (e.g. documented procedures, quality manual, quality plan, supplier's quality management system verification, audit against the API standard at least once a year, management review once a year, etc.). Your organization will need to produce "additional" evidences to demonstrate conformity with API Q1 than ISO 9001:2015.

Can your organization afford to just maintain ISO 9001? Or drop ISO 9001 and get certified only to API Q1? It's your organization's call.