1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.
  1. SusanIATF

SusanIATF New Member

To prepare for IATF registration audit, I would like to know what tests need to be done for IATF 7.1.5.1.1 MSA. Someone told me to only do Gage RR is enough, but when I read the MSA manual, it seems we need to do for Stability, Bias, Linearity and Gage RR. Can anyone advise on this?

Siti Rohaiza likes this.
  2. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Depending on how picky your auditor is, you'll need them all -- Stability, Bias, etc. Been down that road. Good luck.

Siti Rohaiza and SusanIATF like this.
  3. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

Bias and linearity should be handled as part of a good calibration program. You should be able to justify the need for a stability study or not by performing a risk assessment. For example, if you are measuring tight tolerances on metal with swings in temperature, you should perform a stability study. However, if the tolerances are loose and the characteristic is not affected by ambient conditions, you should be able to justify not doing it. Gage R&Rs are pretty much mandatory unless you can create gage families to reduce the number of studies.

4. Siti Rohaiza

Siti Rohaiza New Member

Hi, I want to ask also regarding MSA.

For IATF 16949 requirement, the clause 7.1.5.1.1 states that the statistical studies shall be conducted to analyse the variation present in the results of each type of inspection,measurement, and test equipment system identified in the control plan.

My question are:

1) If let say I have 10 Equipment A, and this 'Equipment A 'have been specified in my company control plan. So, should I do the MSA study for all 10 'Equipment A' or just 1 Equipment A is enough coz the statement is "each type of inspection, measurement and test equipment..."?

2) If in the control plan, if let say Equipment A used to measure or evaluate more than 1 process or product characteristic, should I :

a) do the MSA study by select any of the Equipment A (not use all 10 Equipment A) and choose 1 characteristics to be measured or;

b) do the MSA study by select any of the Equipment A and do the msa study cover for all characteristics as per specified in the control plan using same equipment with same ID.

5. Gejmet

Gejmet Member

1) If you have let's say 10 x 0-1" micrometers and they are all from the same manufacturer and calibrated you may then be justified in saying that they should all perform in a similar manner to each other if the parameter being checked was the same, for example a 0.750 " diameter. You may be stretching that if you said that some of the diameters were different or that the material of the parts was different. Of course, if you also assumed that all your operators perform similarly using the micrometer without supplying any evidence you would also be open to scrutiny.

2) If Equipment A is the same as defined above then the only other variables of significance you have is the characteristic itself, the product( material, process, environment etc) and the operator/s.

If you select any of equipment A you are assuming that they perform similarly enough not to effect the study outcomes so you must provide evidence which might just be a common sense statement that they are all from the same manufacturer and they are calibrated.

If you select any parts or characteristics then you are making the same assumptions as above except that for me personally its a bigger assumption to make to group different types of features depending of course on the method of measurement.

State your assumptions and if necessary have at least some evidence to prove them.

6. Siti Rohaiza

Siti Rohaiza New Member

Okay thanks Gejmet for your info.