1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

CONTROL PLAN

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Jurij, Nov 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jurij

Jurij Member

Hi. If we look at APQP:2008 Second edition 6th chapter ( Control plan).
    We have characteristic where you have to write number and if characteristic is product or process.
    Is it enough to put just X or tick into box? Or there is must to define what on product or process is characteristic ( for example. hole or mix ratio)?

And under PRODUCT / PROCESS SPECIFICATION/ TOLERANCE. Do I have to put exact dimension or demand from drawing for example 25 +-0.2 mm or is it enough just write down according to drawing?

Thank you.

2. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @Jurij
    Welcome to the forum.
    A couple of questions.
    1- Are you new to the APQP process?
    2- Are you solely tasked with this activity, or is your organization committing a cross functional team to perform this development?

The reason I ask, is that these are very basic questions and I'm concerned that maybe you are/the group is simply reading from the AIAG handbook and do not have a good understanding of the purpose/methodology of APQP...specifically control plans.

Please allow me to provide some background.
    The PFMEA begats the Control Plan. i.e. it is first key critical to understand risks and potential controls associated with those risks via PFMEA development.
    The control plan then establishes the "controls" to mitigate those risk and provide the road map for controlling the PROCESSES and PRODUCTS governed by that control plan.

The Control Plan should serve first and foremost, you and your organization. Don't create it for a customer or for an auditor.
    The Control Plan is the key tool for monitoring your established process (ref. IATF 16949:2016 clause 9.2.2.3). Therefore ensure it is constructed in a way that makes it a useful tool.

To answer your questions:
    1- Simply placing an "x" does not identify what PROCESS or PRODUCT characteristic you defining/controlling.
    2- You CAN simply refer to the drawing or other controlling document if there is proprietary information and/or if that information is controlled and readily available to those that need it. In most cases, however, I recommend (your customer may mandate except in situations of proprietary information) that the actual details are readily available to the user via the control plan instead of pointing elsewhere.

If, for example, we are talking about tightening a bolted joint using an automated DC runner, your control plan may look like this....

PROCESS PRODUCT SPECIFICATION/TOLERANCE
    Speed 55 RPM (+/- 5)
    Torque 75 Nm (+/- 3)

Notice that the PROCESS and TORQUE characteristics do NOT share the same row. This is because the specifications and controls will be different between the two.

It would take much longer than this post to properly describe the entire process to you, but I hope this is helpful. I suggest you seek out some robust APQP training for you and your teams.

Be well

Nicholas777, Jurij and Andy Nichols like this.
  3. John C. Abnet

Apologies @Jurij ;
    I see that the "example" I simply typed into my original reply, did not display in a useful way.

Attached is an example from my control plan training curriculum which may help you...

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

• CP.PNG
      CP.PNG
      File size:
      46.1 KB
      Views:
    Jurij likes this.
  4. Jurij

Jurij Member

Hello @John C. Abnet

Thank you very much for this extensive explanation.
    Actually I am not new in APQP process. I asked this question because I started to work in new company which achieved IATF last year and they don not listen to my advices.
    I just wanted to assure myself that I understand process correct that is why I posted this question.

Thank you again.

5. John C. Abnet

Ahhh ! needing validation and leverage. Hope we could be of help.

So, when you say "they" and "last year" I assume that your organization did not previously provide to the automotive industry and "they" do not understand the ways and benefits of IATF (and specifically PFMEA and Control Plans). This is common.

1- Is my stated assumption close?

2- May I ask if "they" are leadership and/or key staff? (i.e. the individuals that should be promoting and supporting the IATF requirements, and potential members of the cross functional teams responsible for helping to develop the PFMEA and Control Plans?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Andy Nichols likes this.
  6. Jurij

Jurij Member

@John C. Abnet
    Yes. I became really confused.
    We started with IATF certification last year. They employed some of us from automotive industry but " old" employees are really self confident in new knowlege which they achieved through quick trainings. So assumption is close.

Actually some of them are key staff.

7. John C. Abnet

May I ask where you are located @Jurij ?

8. Jurij

Jurij Member

Slovenia

9. John C. Abnet

Ah...I have friends who travel there often (and love it).

There are a lot of very knowledgeable individuals on this site, whom can provide you with some wise council and assistance.

10. Jurij

Jurij Member

That is very nice to hear =)

John C. Abnet likes this.