1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Need an Idea for a Class Project

Discussion in 'Training - Internal, External and Web-Based' started by Gary Walz, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Gary Walz

Gary Walz New Member

Hi,

New to this forum, just posted my introduction. I'm teaching a college class (last minute replacement, so I didn't have a lot of prep time or any input into the syllabus or text). Students are 4-year Mechanical Engineering Technology majors. The college is very practical and hands-on.

I'm looking for a project I can assign for the last half of the class. Not looking for anything too in-depth in terms of Stats, but something they can relate to. These students are all whizzes at CAD, CNC, etc.

i was thinking of having them write about a hypothetical company of theirs, and describe how they would integrate some of the concepts in the class into a Quality System for the company.

I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks,

Gary

2. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Have them do a full aiag ppap.

3. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

For standardization - especially for discussion and grading purposes - I would suggest you create the "hypothetical" company. The reason for the " " is you can base the scenario off of a real company, but they won't know who it is. Let's see how they'd improve Tesla or Amazon.

Freakonomics podcast recently re-broadcast a good example of how a teacher, I believe, challenged his/her class with a business setup that was completely opposite Wal-Mart. No one could see how it could work. Yet, the reality is, Trader Joe's is seemingly doing quite well . I included the Spotify link to help point to where I heard it.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  4. Gary Walz

Gary Walz New Member

I was thinking the way to go would be to create the company for them. I like that podcast. I also teach a class on Production and Operations Management, I may have to work the Trader Joe's podcast into that class for sure.

Thanks,
    Gary