1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

IAFT-16949 or ISO 9001

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Suraiya Ramkissoon, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Suraiya Ramkissoon

Suraiya Ramkissoon Active Member

Hi Everyone,

I have been working with a dealership and distribution company for about a year to establish, implement and gain ISO 9001:2015 certification. In the time I have been here there was some restructuring, we are now more focused on the dealership business.

With that, I have been researching automotive quality management. Came across IAFT-16949. I am wondering if this is more inline with the automotive market than ISO 9001.

I know ISO 9001 is very versatile and can be applied to any industry (I have worked previously with ISO 9001 in a manufacturing company and a distribution company).

What I would like to know is i guess, the difference in ISO 9001 certification V. IAFT-16949. Which would bring more value to my company?

EDIT: my company does not manufacture vehicles, we sell vehicles, industrial equipment, we have a service workshop to support the dealership, we also sell batteries, tyres and lubricants and we have auto rental, leasing etc.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  2. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

If you don't manufacture over the road motor vehicle items, IATF isn't applicable. Consider yourself lucky. Stick with ISO.

3. Suraiya Ramkissoon

thanks for clearing that up.

So therefore ISO 9001 is the most suitable standard for a dealership?

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Yes, they do not meet the requirements for IATF 16949 Certification.

Nicholas777 and John C. Abnet like this.
  5. Suraiya Ramkissoon

noted, thanks for the feedback guys.

6. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Just to provide you the basis of Golfman25 and Andy's answers, Section 1 of the Rules for achieving and maintaining IATF recognition 5th ed. about Eligibility for Certification to IATF 16949 - it specifies:

IATF 16949 defines the quality management system requirements for a client providing design and development, production and, when relevant, assembly, installation and services (see the definition of "Manufacturing" below for the list of services) of automotive-related products...

IATF 16949 is applicable to all sites of a client where customer-specified production parts, service parts, and/or accessory parts are manufactured.

Manufacturing shall be understood as "the process of making or fabricating production materials, production of service parts, assemblies, or heat treating, welding, painting, plating, or other finishing services of automotive-related parts"

Only manufacturing sites where production, service parts, and/or accessory parts that shall be mechanically attached or electrically connected to the vehicle are manufactured and supplied to automotive customers are eligible for IATF 16949.