1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

moulded plastic lenses

Discussion in 'Sampling, Standards and Inspection' started by mk241, Sep 5, 2019.

1. mk241

mk241 Member

Hi,

Say I have injection moulded plastic lenses (like collector lens or bubble shaped lenses).
    How can I inspect geometry of the moulded lens ? Is there any good way of making inspecting tool/template? Critical checking point would be the centre of the lens and its height.

Any opinion is much appreciated.

Thanks
    MK

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Do you have a local inspection lab who have the capability of measurement with a number of devices - laser etc. They might be your best bet to determine a way to measure it and maybe design a template, have it verified by them?

3. Quality Guy

Quality Guy Member

What equipment do you have in your arsenal in house? There are many options depending upon the equipment you have. Do you think you have the proper equipment and don't know how to get started or are you looking for equipment type advice to measure this?If you are limited on equipment, then as Andy said, maybe an outside source to get you started.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  4. mk241

mk241 Member

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply.
    I have not contacted the lab to do so. I may start looking for the inspection lab and seek some opinion. I was simply thinking to make a template in the same geometry as the lens; however, then I was not sure what kind of template (design wise) would be suitable to meet my needs.

Regards,
    MK

5. mk241

mk241 Member

Hi Quality Guy,

That is the thing, we do not have proper equipment to measure it. Just a simple measuring device. I was thinking of getting a profile projector.
    As advised, I will see if I can find local inspection lab.

Regards,
    MK

6. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

You'd have to produce something 4x "better" than the actual profile including upper and lower limits of size, form etc. If you can't measure the actual lens, then the template becomes a practical impossibility for you, so off to a lab you shall go! Where in the world are you?