1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Reporting Structures for Quality Personnel

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Dan Menden, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Dan Menden

Dan Menden New Member

I am working with a client who is working towards their IATF certification and we will be suggesting some organizational structure changes. Are there specific requirements within the IATF 16949:2016 that stipulates who the Quality Director of a company can and can not have as their manager/boss? Can a Qualtiy Director also have a dual responsibility/role as Plant Manager? Some guidance with this issue or where I can find the relevant information would be greatly appreciated.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Welcome, Dan!

I'm guessing you don't have access to a copy of IATF 16949. There's nothing much in addition to the basics of ISO 9001:2015 to apply here. One might suggest that it's close to optimal that quality is the plant manager's responsibility. It really depends more on what gets done and how it's delegated. But looking for this situation to be affirmed/denied in IATF? Nothing.

3. Dan Menden

Dan Menden New Member

You guessed correctly, I do not have a copy of IATF 16949. Thanks for the perspective on the situation that I raised. Does it make a difference if the Quality Director reports to the head of operations and not a plant manager? Thanks.

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Nope. It's about getting quality parts made, through (predictive) process controls and people who can act quickly to control non-conformance and take action. To protect customer plants - cheaply.