1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

ISO 9001:2015 and Global performance levels.

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Somashekar, Oct 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Somashekar

Somashekar Well-Known Member

Attention is drawn to the Note 2 and 3. Of clause 4.1 … Understanding the organization and its context
    {I refer to the FDIS here}

[Understanding the external context can be facilitated by considering issues arising from legal,

technological, competitive, market, cultural, social and economic environments, whether international, national, regional or local.]

[Understanding the internal context can be facilitated by considering issues related to values, culture, knowledge and performance of the organization.]

Attention is drawn to word culture, which is used in both the notes.

One of the appropriate meaning of culture is this …

“ The ideas, customs, and social behaviour of a particular people or society. “

The various regions of the globe are characterized by the typical culture that has evolved in that place over generations. The same will reflect in the organization. Even when people from other regions migrate and be a part in the organization, the culture of the place rubs on them. This will be a driver to several other PDCA activities of the established QMS

In terms of risk based thinking approach, the quality of QMS will certainly vary from region to region, so is the case with the QMS assessment as well. Inter region assessment by auditors will be that much more tough on both parties when the culture clash is likely to surface in the risk based thinking approach.

So in my opinion, the best application of the ISO9001:2015 would fall into this region preference order.

Europe (Major part)

North America, Japan, Australia,

China, Southeast Asia, South America

Middle east, Central Asia

Africa

This is purely my own assessment and based on my own belief system.

Anyone would like to add viewpoints or more opinions … ?

2. Ganesh Sundaresan

Ganesh Sundaresan Active Member

Not sure if I am getting your opinion right. But I am totally against attributing Culture as a mere regional thing particularly in the context of implementing QMS. Culture is more an Organizational thing. One of many responsibilities of the Top Management is to create A Culture within their Organization irrespective of the regions that accommodate their facilities. At least that is what a CEO would wish for, in order to create synergy within the Organization. Therefore, IMO the best application of ISO is not region based, but Organization based, or even Top Management based.

3. Somashekar

I wish I can agree with you Ganesh. You seem to cornering perhaps big corporate to the corporate culture kind of thing. You are also using the words like CEO etc, which makes me feel you are confining to very big organizations. What I have in mind is also the several thousands of small and medium sector establishments both in service and manufacturing which by number far exceed the big corporate. In the scenario I am seeing the top, middle and the work force are all from the same culture. There are these people who take risk without the depth of understanding of the risk. They resort to shortcut measures more willingly rather than to thought based risk analysis. Too much of "Lets see how to cross the river when we get to it" prevails. The region culture certainly shows up in the risk based thinking. These will certainly play on the QMS performance levels which will differ from region to region.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  4. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

I do not understand what the issue is or what point is trying to be made. However, you are both correct...there is organizational culture and there is regional culture.

Organizational culture encompasses values and behaviors that "contribute to the unique social and psychological environment of an organization."

Culture is "the way of life, especially the general customs and beliefs, of a particular group of people at a particular time."

Culture, however, should also encompass fields. The technology sector is perhaps more open to taking risks and trying new things than, say, the steel-making field.

It goes without saying that regional culture can have an impact on organizational culture. If a group of people within a region are risk-adverse and less open to new ways, odds are a local company would have a lower level of embracing continual improvement than perhaps a company that is located in a more dynamic part of the world.

Smaller companies, though, may be run by true entrepreneurs...the risk takers and visionaries not always found in mega-corporations.

To be honest, I think attempting to categorize regions of the world against their application of the standard is well...biased. This preconceived notion of "level of application" flies in the face of value-added assessing of any system. If I was to use your list, Somashekar, before going in to audit an organization in Africa, why would I even bother highlighting opportunities for improvement because, according to your interpretation, African-culture is less liking to be open to any recommendations I may have. As auditors, we should neither presume nor assume what an organization is capable of or willing to do. We do our jobs. Leave the decision to accept/reject with the organization.

5. Somashekar

This is what I mean to say in the performance level of the QMS. There is no issue or point that I am trying to make.
    The attempt to categorize is certainly biased. This is the reason why I have mentioned this ...
    [This is purely my own assessment and based on my own belief system.]
    My post was not from the auditing point of view. It was more about the QMS establishment.
    I did mention that auditing across region will impact though. ISO 9001 auditors travelling across region is perhaps no more existing.
    Thanks for adding your viewpoint and opinion Roxane

6. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Even from an implementation of a management system (be it Quality, Environment, Safety, Financial, whatever), a good change agent/champion is able to recognize the organizational culture and identify the approach required that will best allow for continual improvement. As Ganesh alluded to, though, top management support is required to accomplish this. I could have all the best ideas to support an organization's continual improvement, but if leadership is not willing to embrace the spirit of CI, it's a losing battle for me.

Somashekar likes this.