1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Training Vs Awareness Sessions

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Krishna VVA, May 30, 2019.

1. Krishna VVA

Krishna VVA New Member

Hi,

I want to know can the awareness sessions attended by employees be termed as training? What impact would be in audits if we combine both training and awareness sessions?

The reason behind asking this question is most of the awareness sessions will not have a training attendance, feedback and effectiveness check. Looking for suitable reply.

Thanks in advance.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Welcome, Krishna!

Training is quite different and distinct from awareness. Training is one of the actions taken to improve or increase competency. Awareness is complimentary to competency and training. Training builds skills as a component of competency. You can be trained to drive a vehicle but NOT be competent (lacking in experience, say). You may not be aware that in snow the vehicle will not start/stop/turn the same, but that you should be careful - which is awareness - not to make any sudden changes (and that can be reinforced by experience, subsequently). Awareness can be tested by interviews. Competency/training can be demonstrated.

tony s, Bev D and johnnymo77 like this.
  3. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Welcome to the site Krishna-

What @Andy Nichols said...

("Awareness can be tested by interviews. Competency/training can be demonstrated"----I'm shamelessly stealing that line @Andy Nichols)

Andy Nichols likes this.
  4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

-I'm shamelessly stealing that line @Andy Nichols)

I have my moments, John. Where do I send my invoice? :D

5. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

None.
    If there's no records of attendance, feedback and effectiveness, is there a problem here? an NC? against what?

6. Katrijn

Katrijn Member

In the maritime ISM code there is a requirement for 'certified and qualified personnel' .

The first part is easy to comply with, have controls for on all levels and to audit.
    The second .... so much harder ... there is only so much you can do with function descriptions, training and competence matrices, ...