1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

How to find and document opportunities for ISO 9001

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Sameer Navare, May 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Sameer Navare

Sameer Navare New Member

Hello

I am very confused with documenting opportunities. We are comfortable with risks management but I am not sure how to identify and moreover document the opportunities.
    Do I need to maintain everything that we do for risk to opportunities? I mean, Opportunity, action plan, responsible person, estimated date of completion etc?

Kindly help

2. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @Sameer Navare and welcome to the site.

Remember the "interested parties" and "internal and external issues" you identified back in clause 4? Let's assume some of those items are...
    Customers: On time delivery. Conforming product
    Share holders: A positive return on investment
    Community: Safe place to live and play.

Now, consider what risks (and opportunities) will cause you to NOT meet those requirements OR improve upon how you meet those requirements.

Usually, "opportunities" will be a force outside of the organization. For example, maybe you learn that your biggest competitor is going out of business. That would be an opportunity specific to providing a return on investment to your shareholders.

Yes, it is indeed usually easier to identify risks than opportunities. You must at least show that you've reviewed the potential for any opportunities and the results of that review

Hope this helps.

Be well.

3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

The guidance in ISO/TS 9002 talks about using a SWOT or PEST analysis. Are you familiar with these?

John C. Abnet likes this.
  4. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

The approach I defined was:

Simply, an opportunity is an improvement, so I decided. That if an opportunity is detected, is evaluated, if is worth the effort, is approved.
    They are called improvement projects.
    Also any improvement which doesn’t came from 6.1 , is also added to the improvement projects.
    I have a master list of improvement projects, where I do the follow-up.
    Hope this helps

5. Andy Nichols

I don't agree! In business, there are many opportunities which present themselves. Who can say if it's an improvement? I might see a huge opportunity to sell more products, but that actually might cause more problems than it solves - not an improvement. When you look at ISO 9001, that NOT how clause 4 and 6 work together. What you describe is clause (maybe) 9 and 10 (def)

6. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

I agree with you, that is the reason Is evaluated before approved, if there is a risk of not getting the benefit (improvement) is not authorized.

7. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

How you document the risks and the actions to address the risks can be the same with the opportunities. If you consider risk as something that can "adversely affect" the achievement of an intended result, opportunity is, then, something that can "beneficially affect" the achievement of an intended result. Once identified, both risks and opportunities should be addressed by the actions you deemed appropriate to ensure the achievement of the intended results.

8. Sameer Navare

Sameer Navare New Member

Thank you everybody for your valuable responses and comments.

9. Sameer Navare

Sameer Navare New Member

Yes. I am aware about SWOT though not about PEST. But still I am not clear if I am thinking about some opportunities, how to document them?

10. Andy Nichols

Use your management review. Sameer: When you look at the words in section 4, it's not just about identifying opportunities and documenting them. You have to have your management consider those affecting the strategic direction.

11. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Risk and opportunities are recommended to be found at strategic and operational level.m,gaining new customers, businesses in other country (strategic) and to raise machine capacity, operator operational

12. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member