1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.
  1. Richard Billings

Richard Billings Active Member

Depending on the amount of business this customer provides I too might quite likely do exactly what they ask.

2. ncwalker

ncwalker Well-Known Member

Ahhh. The old "no such thing as human error" discussion again. :)

Personally, I think human error can absolutely be a root cause. I think in the quality field the taboo of not having human error has arisen from it being overused as a reason. Far easier to say "human error" than do any sort of diligence work.

The point is - I think - to REALLY LOOK at the system to ensure human error cannot occur.

So in James case, one could suggest change the box shape so mis packing cannot happen (poka-yoke it). But that would then raise the NEXT question ... how much COST would it add for him to stock and use custom boxes? I'm venting a bit, but it's aggravating to have an SQ demand you spare no expense to go from 2 ppm down to 1 ppm, and not want to talk about a price increase. :)

Rant over. Here's a possible solution: Since these parts are visually so close in appearance that the mixing is an issue, change the process such that you cannot do this operation without running 2 or 3 different parts in between to purge the line. (It's an old bearing manufacturing trick. If you run bearing A and bearing B is VERY CLOSE in size, you don't want to pollute the B run with stray, leftover A components. So instead of running B, you run C which is VERY different.)

3. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

No. We have had the same issue over the years with our biggest customers. Like clockwork, they issue the "intergalactic multilevel 25D" or whatever they are calling it these days. There is no affordable solution and it is such a minor occurrence that we come up with some "BS" to get the "paperwork" done and move on to bigger issues. It actually isn't the end of the world. :)

ncwalker likes this.
  4. ncwalker

ncwalker Well-Known Member

You forgot having to key in the intergalactic multilevel 25D into their "portal" that has an interface so poor and clunky, it takes an afternoon.

Golfman25 likes this.
  5. Shane O

Shane O New Member

Is it documented that training of said W.I.'s and S.O.P's was taught, understood and finally quizzed to each individual?
    Maybe WI's & SOP's shouldnt be used as "Reference"......

6. RonR Quality Pro

RonR Quality Pro Active Member

Just to add my own $0.02 to this discussion. Some time ago I posed the same question (on a different forum) and someone was kind enough to share a Human Error Root Cause Analysis (HERCA) document with me. I am attaching a copy to this post - hopefully some will find it useful.

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

Andy Nichols likes this.