1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Reorganizing a QMS

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by RyanM, Mar 18, 2019.

1. RyanM

RyanM New Member

Hi All,

I have just returned to my company after a small hiatus to pursue some personal goals.
    I worked here prior to the hiatus for 2.5 years and was starting to work closer with the senior quality engineer (also the only quality engineer). Now that I've returned, the plan was to work closer with him since he is able to retire any time within the next few years.

I would like to get our company back to ISO:9001 certified eventually, but my main concern is getting our company to be more efficient (save money, better on time delivery, etc.). There are so many holes in our current QMS that it's becoming a bit overwhelming to look at it as a whole. My question is, where to start?

I'd like to implement/change things slowly, as we are slightly short staffed in our office and my boss currently has too much on his plate to delve into an entire quality changeover immediately.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like you need the services of a good consultant. Where are you located? (state)

3. RyanM

RyanM New Member

Located in NH. Although I'm positive a consultant would be ideal, I'm not sure management (at this stage) would be willing to set aside time/resources for one.

4. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Did you do a gap analysis yet? I would start there. Then you can prioritize the gaps based on ease and effect. Take one gap a month or quarter or whatever timeframe you want. Good luck.

5. RyanM

RyanM New Member

Thank you, I'll start there. I appreciate the help!

6. KyleG

KyleG Active Member

I had a same scenario, I too started with a gap, figured out what my company already had in place and tweaked things from there to make sure we are compliant. Andy also referred me over to an agency that got us in touch with a consultant. Since me starting at this company in August, (really started ISO January 1,) we are scheduling our stage 1 audit in May. Also the book ISO 9001:2015 In plain English by Craig Cochran has helped me a great deal. This forum is also a helpful tool don't be afraid to ask questions most here are good counsel. Also, i should add i have never had experience implementing any iso programs this is my first one.

7. pkfraser

pkfraser Active Member

Ryan

If you say you that you want to make the organisation more efficient first, then look at possible quality certification after that (which is the approach that any sensible organisation would take...!) you might find the attached of some help. It might save some of the time that a consultant might want to charge you for...

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

tony s and Andy Nichols like this.
  8. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely! Getting certified should never be the primary driver. Management (and customers), all stakeholders really, measure your business performance. Having a certificate doesn't mean much - especially when clients don't even care (or can tell) if it's a meaningful one. Certificates are ten a penny. Plus, we all know it's about duping some auditor who spends a couple of days a year sitting around nit-picking over some records of calibration, training or if there's a date on the quality manual. Hardly enough to convince stakeholders that the business is on track to make any kind of money.

Ryan: Keep true to the purpose of quality. Making money making customers happy. The certificate will be easy to get...

GStough, tony s and John C. Abnet like this.
  9. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

Oh, how I wish that (ISO 9001:2015 certification) was all it takes to enhance overall efficiency by ensuring world-class quality practices are in place, understood, and followed... Where is that magic wand emoji when I need it??

GStough and tony s like this.
  10. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Having a QMS doesn't mean it is certified.

GStough and Andy Nichols like this.
  11. KyleG

KyleG Active Member

My company decided to get ISO certified to drive business. and get into markets we normally wouldn't be able to. after out certification we will be able to get into military and Automotive contracts, it also puts us a few rungs on the ladder up from anyone else doing Cerakote, it was a great business move and a great management tool. We found our management needed more accountability.

12. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

As in all cases, every horse can reserve the right to die of thirst and every organization can choose the extent to which they engage in the standard's intended potential. We get out of it what we put into it. Particularly due to unaccredited registrars and other "dark horses" in the ISO community, getting the certification is in itself no promise or guarantee to performance.

13. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

I hate to say it, but ISO can in fact lead to inefficiency and bureaucracy. People start to "document everything" and we spend hours upon hours filling out forms and chasing our tails. The focus becomes comply with ISO. Just look at all the questions and arguments on these boards about silly stuff.

I would take the opposite approach. Throw your ISO standard in the trash. Build a world class business. Do what your business needs. Put policies, procedures, and documents in place that help you achieve organizational goals. Once you get there and you're humming along, then take a look at ISO. At that point certification should be a piece of cake.

Katrijn, tony s, KyleG and 1 other person like this.
  14. KyleG

KyleG Active Member

I like what Golfman said, from what i have seen, any well operated company can be ISO certified with very few changes. build the business, make it matter make it work make it last.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  15. KyleG

KyleG Active Member

intent and result are not always directly correlated, i intend to be the best basketball player in the world and train everyday. Result i can train everyday but wont become the best basketball player in the world, ill settle for second best, ( LeBron if youre reading this im coming to be number one!)