1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Meeting Legal Statuary and Regulatory Requirements Query

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Suraiya Ramkissoon, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Suraiya Ramkissoon

Suraiya Ramkissoon Active Member

Hi everyone,

I'm implementing ISO 9001 at a dealership and distribution company and was wondering the extent necessary of documenting that we are meeting Legal statuary and regulatory requirements.

This is my plan, what do you guys think?

I have an excel document ' Register of compliance' There are two tabs.

Tab 1 - Certificates licenses and permits. headings are as follows:
    Certifying Body/ Document/ Expiry date/Scope of the Certificate/Certificate/Licence no./Department - Responsibility/Remarks
    This will be a live document and updated when managers notify my of new certificates (the managers are responsible for managing their department's compliance)

Tab 2 - Laws (i'm thinking here to state all the Laws applicable to my company and the manager(s) responsible to ensure compliance.

Suraiya

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Before you create a monster, what's the scope of your QMS? Don't forget that these requirements apply to product/service which are within the scope of your QMS...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  3. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

I believe your company just need to keep updated records of compliance with the statutory and regulatory requirements. Since you mentioned that there are managers who are responsible to ensure compliance, IMHO, maintaining a register (and if you're the one responsible for that) might relieve your managers the responsibility they are tasked to bear.

4. Andy Nichols

Suraiya

What "pleases" an auditor, isn't what the standard requires. An organization must be aware of its responsibilities to provide products and services which meet the applicable regulatory and statutory requirements. This is why I asked for the scope of the QMS, so appropriate comments and guidance can be given - not what (one) auditor finds acceptable.

Suraiya Ramkissoon likes this.
  5. Suraiya Ramkissoon

This is our scope:

Scope – Location 1
    The provision of marketing, sales and distribution for light and heavy duty automobiles; agricultural & industrial machinery and implements, batteries, tyres and lubricants; safety and hygienic solutions; office products; crop care; auto rental; and related after sales services; to retail and consumer markets, in compliance with all required guidelines from Principals.

Scope – Location 2 + 3
    The sales and distribution for light and heavy duty automobiles; agricultural & industrial machinery and implements; batteries, tyres, lubricants and gases; safety and hygienic solutions; office products; crop care solutions and the provision of related after sales services.

Scope – Location 4
    The provision of auto rental services to end users in compliance with Principal Requirements

6. Andy Nichols

Thanks. Now, what regulations or statutory requirements are there, to do with the provision, distribution etc of vehicles? I'd go out on a limb and say not very many...if at all.

7. Suraiya Ramkissoon

I am now in the process of figuring that out. Each manager is to let me know.

So far there are basically import permits that are required (particularly for crop care as it deals with dangerous chemicals), storage permits, distribution permits.

but aside from that, is it necessary to track building permits e.g. fire safety permits? OSHA permits? to what extent do i need to document?

8. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

There are regulatory requirements that your organization need to secure every transaction (e.g. import permits), some periodical (e.g. fire safety permits) and some at major activities (e.g. building permit). If your organization designates you as their compliance officer, a monitoring tool could help you in keeping track. But if the responsibilities to ensure compliance are spread out to various point persons, maintaining that monitoring tool will definitely add-up to your existing functions. Anyway, it's your call.

Suraiya Ramkissoon likes this.
  9. Suraiya Ramkissoon

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Much appreciated.

Suraiya