1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

4.2 Understanding the Needs and Expectations of Interested Parties

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Suraiya Ramkissoon, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Suraiya Ramkissoon

Suraiya Ramkissoon Active Member

Hi everyone,

I've identified Competition Companies as one of the interested parties to my QMS (dealership and distribution company).

I'm wondering what would be the best way to identify their needs and expectations and assessment tools. See my attempt below. Feedback appreciated.

upload_2019-2-5_9-59-46.png

Suraiya

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Welcome Suraiya:

Are your competitors really interested in your QMS? As an interested party? I know ISO 9004 gives guidance in this respect, but I think that's for extremely rare situations. I wouldn't include them, frankly.

3. KyleG

KyleG Active Member

In what case would a Competitor be an interested party? I don't see why they would care (or why i would care) about their interest in what my company is doing.
    (im truly curious)

Andy Nichols likes this.
  4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

There are sectors of the market where, if one company fails, they all fail, so although strictly competitors, they are somewhat dependent upon each other. The tobacco industry is like this. They "share" things like testing results, standards etc, yet they are sales competitors.

judegu and John C. Abnet like this.
  5. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps not strictly in the world of ISO, but from a strategic alliance perspective, they may be interested. Sure, they may also want to see this type of information and use it to their advantage, as well, but I'm trying to avoid sounding too jaded and cynical today. :cool:

6. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Maybe that's why ISO/TS 9002:2016 put "competitors" in the last of the examples of interested parties.
    upload_2019-2-6_11-45-31.png

Andy Nichols likes this.
  7. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

It Could be the reason to include them, the price of products? Real prices, what happens if your competitor sells products at very low prices? This affect your company.

Ellie likes this.
  8. KyleG

KyleG Active Member

I think i understand, I was recycling Lead at a previous employer, during my time there the LARGEST lead recycling company in the world invested in us because we had a better way to recycle lead more environmentally friendly etc. They were an interested party because they were investors but also competitors? They were basically keeping the company afloat while we were ironing out the technology.

9. Suraiya Ramkissoon

this is where i got the idea to include them as an interested party.

my thought process was surrounding market analysis so our competitor is an interested party as they want our market share... we control it via continuous market analysis and marketing strategies to mitigate the risk of loosing market share.

after all ISO is supposed to add value to our organisation and i figured this would be another way to incorporate the business aspect of our organisation.

10. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

But remember only to consider which is pertinent, because if it is considered, in any way will need monitoring and revision, so you have to do something, not just being identified

11. Suraiya Ramkissoon

Noted, I'm going to throw it out to the management team to make a decision that that will have to stick to.