1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Does changing color/pattern constitute a design change?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by KyleG, Jan 23, 2019.

1. KyleG

KyleG Active Member

I have a question.... My company creates different patterns to be applied to parts. do i have to document these new patterns? the pattern can simply be change a color on one part for a different color, or different masking. Instead of using black on a frame i'm going to use Red on the frame... is that a design change? the process and work instructions remain the same except for changing to a different color for specified part.

2. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

What are the parts?
    Does your company design the parts?
    Are the colors/patterns requested by customers?
    Are the colors/patterns used interchangeably on different parts?

3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Who has the ultimate authority to approve these changes? You? Your customers? If you (alone) they are design changes and should be approved.

4. KyleG

KyleG Active Member

We do not design parts, we are just the applicator, sometimes the company will supply the pattern they want, other times we create the pattern. "patterns" can be multiple and singular colors.
    Thank you i believe you guys have answered my question. how do i document the pattern? could i just keep a binder of photos of the pattern? and how they're applied?

5. Jennifer Kirley

This is a very good discussion.

Quality Assurance has traditionally be considered to be about activities relating to traditional terms form, fit or function. These have been traditionally thought of as fitness for purpose. But what happens if appearance (color or color scheme) is also fitness for purpose? IATF (automotive) already recognizes appearance as a criteria for form, fit or function.

The question is, does your customer consider appearance, including color and pattern of finish, to be critical characteristics? If so, we might want to consider them as relevant under the Design clause in 9001:2015 and apply appropriate development, approval and change controls needed to get it right the first time.

Do you agree?

6. KyleG

KyleG Active Member

When the customer supplies the specific pattern i have documentation pertaining to their specs expectations etc. so i agree there.
    However, if i'm coating parts red and then i want to change the color to blue, do i need to have to separate design forms. If the answer is yes, i could potentially end up with hundreds of design forms, My company is the largest Cerakote and Hydrographic film production applicator in the United states.

7. Jennifer Kirley

As I understand it, unless you are making specialty colors and/or designs these finishes do not affect form, fit or function as design changes would. You can have customer approval of color or pattern via the sales or contracting process.