1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

ISO14001 6.2.2 Planning to achieve objectives

Discussion in 'ISO 14001:2015 - Environmental Management Systems' started by Derek Conran, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Derek Conran

Derek Conran New Member

We have recently encountered different perspectives when interpreting the requirements of the Standard relating to Clause 6.2.2 "planning to achieve environmental objectives" specifically the requirement to "determine what resources will be required" (including human resources). One interpretation is that this means that the specific time requirements needs to be determined for each person assigned an action/task (i.e. forecast that Manager x will need to spend 10 hrs and Manager y will need to spend 20 hrs on this task in the next 2 months). The other interpretation relating to human resources determination is that the organisation only needs to determine who the people involved will be. Does anybody have an opinion on this?

2. senior

Hi Derek,
    Clause 6.2.2 (d) clearly mention "When it will be completed"
    It dosen't says how long.

Derek Conran likes this.
  3. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @Derek Conran and welcome to the site.

Don't overthink this.

Consider what the authors were likely thinking when this was written...

Consider this:
    We all know how common it is for a planning session/meeting to regress into what I call "a nod session".

In other-words...
    - an action is presented,
    - it is agreed that the action should be taken,
    - all nod agreeably at the idea,
    - the meeting ends.

Six weeks later, IF the topic is even remembered and revisited, it is discovered that no action was taken. This is the type of scenario the authors are wanting organizations to avoid.

What the authors are asking is not unlike the common acronym SMART, which is used as a guide by some organizations when establishing goals/projects.
    S= Specific (ensure a clear objective is established)
    M= Measurable (ensure that there is a way to measure progress and determine a "win" and that it IS measured)
    A= Achievable (ensure that the objective is attainable and reasonable)
    R= Relevant (ask the question "so what?" i.e. If the objective is achieved, does it contribute to the organization's mission?)
    T= Time based (is there an end date established for when the objective is to be obtained?)

A "SMART" approach (or similar) is certainly in the best interest of the organization, therefore, adapt an approach that serves YOUR organization (NOT the standard) while meeting the requirements of the standard.

Hope this helps.

Be well.

Andy Nichols and Derek Conran like this.
  4. Derek Conran

Derek Conran New Member

Thanks for that, looking more at the "what resources will be required" section. Thanks anyway

5. Derek Conran

Derek Conran New Member

Thanks John,

Good to hear your point of view on this. I think if human resources are commonly an issue or a "road block" when planning to achieve the objectives then specific planning should be put into this in an effort to quantify the HR resource or somewhat forecast how much time will be required (i.e. your scenario of objective setting exercise above which doesn't go anywhere may or may not be a result of the people assigned actions not having sufficient time). I do appreciate however that fundamentally the intention of the Standard is that objectives are set and achieved. Therefore if this is being achieved (i.e. objectives are being achieved) then the broad intention of the Standard is being met. Thanks again

John C. Abnet likes this.
  6. Thangamani

Thangamani New Member

When planning how to achieve the quality objectives, determine the following objectives based clause 6.2.2

• what will be done
    • what resources will be required
    • who will be responsible
    • when it will be completed
    • how the results will be evaluated

7. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Here's a simple form to help you in satisfying 6.2.2:

upload_2019-3-12_12-1-11.png