1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Revision in control document

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Rajan Gupta, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Rajan Gupta

Rajan Gupta Member

hello everyone,

I have a controlled document of technical specification in which we need to delete some column.

Please suggest in this case what should we do ?
    Change the version number or maintain the same.

Also let me know me information when a new document revision number has to be given

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

What is the "column"? Data or simply an extra space in an Excel spreadsheet?

3. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @Rajan Gupta ;
    Consider this...
    1- Once the change is done, if the "old" (prior) version is used by accident,...
    a) Will it cause non-compliance to your internal requirements?
    b) Will it cause a "non-compliance" to your internal intent?
    c) Will it cause a non-compliance to customer requirements/expectations?

Per @Andy Nichols comment, it is necessary to consider the impact of the change. If I were auditing your company and saw a different purpose/intent/data collection on the form in use versus older copies, then I would be concerned that a change was made with no CPC (change point control). If, on the other hand, and extraneous column or verbiage was simply changed, then I would have little concern.

What is the "scope" of the organization's process for "control of documented information"? (if your organization has a defined/documented process for "control of documented information"). The reason I ask this question is that I always suggest to my clients that any defined/documented process have an identified "scope". That helps prevent the need to decide in each situation (as it appears is being done here), whether or not the process applies to the situation in question. The "scope" helps identify whether or not a given scenario is applicable to the defined process.

In addition, I would also ask yourself (the team) if the document structure is controlled, then why NOT simply use the organization's CPC process and update the revision of the document? I'm assuming if the CPC process is designed to be simple to use, then it could have been updated with a new revision in the time it took us to have this forum discussion on the issue... :)

Hope this helps. Be well.

4. Rajan Gupta

Rajan Gupta Member

Generally it contained some informative data but never used by the relevant department .
    So please suggest what should be done in this case.

5. Andy Nichols

Delete the column and reissue the document at the next level (a, 2, whatever)

Candi1024 and John C. Abnet like this.
  6. Rajan Gupta

Rajan Gupta Member

do i need to release with new revision code

7. Andy Nichols

Do you have a document control procedure? What does that tell you to do? It is normal practice, when a document is changed, to indicate the next version on the document.

8. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

If the controlled document (I'm assuming it is a form) has already an assigned document code, then you only need to release the revised form indicating the next revision level. For example:

If the original Purchase Request Form has an assigned code and revision level of: PUR.F.01, Rev0,
    then the revised version will have the same code but with next revision level of: PUR.F.01, Rev1

Sunkist S. Leona and Neo113016 like this.