1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Using Job descriptions in Quality Manual

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Rajan Gupta, May 31, 2018.

1. Rajan Gupta

Rajan Gupta Member

My question is about defining JD in quality manual.

In organization chart we have defined two different position/function and in this case both the profile is being handled by one and same person?
    Do i need to show a combined Job description or keep it separate?
    If JD's are combined will it impact my QMS ?

2. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

If you use job descriptions, keep them by function. Don't combine because one person does both. You don't know how long that will last.

John C. Abnet likes this.
  3. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

@Golfman25 is spot on @Rajan Gupta .

An org chart should reflect the corporate intent and NOT be based on the current personnel. Too often companies create or eliminate positions based on the existing staff. For example, "Sarah" (Buyer) is really good at supply chain management. So, in order to increase her workload/utilize her skills, a new title "Supply Chain Coordinator" is given to Sarah. Six months later (maybe because of burn-out?...feeling exploited ??), Sarah leaves the company....now what do we do? Do we hire a "Supply Chain Coordinator" AND a "Buyer"? Stay true to the corporate intent and ensure an org chart is strategic and does not consider existing or available workforce.

Hope this helps.
    Be well.

Neo113016 likes this.
  4. Neo113016

Neo113016 Member

No need to combine. As John have stated, an organizational chart should reflect the corporate intent.

5. Ali.M

Ali.M Member

I think you have two options;
    1) Pick the most important role out of the two and only attribute that to the employee or,
    2) State both roles to the same employee e.g. Quality and Environmental Manager.