1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

IATF 16949:2016 8.4.2.3.1-Automotive Product-Related software

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Shay Doak, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Shay Doak

Shay Doak New Member

Hello all,

What is the definition of IATF 16949:2016 8.4.2.3.1 “Automotive Product-Related Software” (not “Embedded Software”)?

We have in-house custom engineering programs and purchased software packages that check product at various stages in the assembly process for correct parts, correct software revision level, correct label formats, etc. Similar software also captures production traceability information at various stages in the process and handles calibration checks as well.

Do the requirements for 8.4.2.3.1 apply to all, or some, of the software examples listed above whether developed by us (i.e., we are the supplier) or purchased from an outside source?

Do the requirements of Product Identification and Traceability 8.5.2.1 apply to all, or some, of the software examples listed above?

Thank you for any clarification that can be provided.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Embedded software is something within the deliverable product. Are you familiar with the VW emissions scandal?

John C. Abnet likes this.
  3. daved31415

daved31415 New Member

I am also interested in understanding the distinction between "Product-Related" and "Embedded" software. I fully understand what embedded software is, but "Product-Related"? Is the intent here to address software that is written for use in the vehicle but not delivered with the vehicle? Maybe this applies to smartphone applications which interface with vehicles? I'm not sure of other examples...

In my organization it seems the term "product-related" was expanded to include a vast array of software and programs that are related to the product manufacturing, all good to have backup and revision control of but I'm just curious what the actual intent of IATF16949:2016 is.

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

If you create a software product which is part of the (safe) operation of the vehicle, (for example, engine emissions control, body electrical controls, transmission controller) that's what's included in the IATF requirements. Nothing to do with manufacturing software which ISN'T delivered with the product. If that has been included, someone has a severe case of "mission creep". I hope it wasn't your CB auditor!

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  5. daved31415

daved31415 New Member

Thanks for the clarification, this makes sense. It was not our CB auditor that made this interpretation. I wish the standard itself (better?) described what you wrote, especially for cases of manufacturers who do not write software but use a considerable amount of it (who doesn't?).

Having software revision control for PLC, paint robot and CMM programs makes complete sense to me but I'm not sure it's the best investment of time in the weeks prior to a transition audit.

6. Serious Man

Serious Man Active Member

If you focus on details, you can get lost. Control of general picture is needed.
    8.4.2.3.1 is "copy" of 8.3.2.3 for external sources and 8.3 is about designing and developing of product.
    Matter you are thinking about is in 7.1.5.2.1 g) and i) and 7.1.5 is about monitoring resources.

7. daved31415

daved31415 New Member

Thanks. I had missed the distinction of production-related software in 7.1.5.2.1.i, opposed to product-related software. I've had a look at non-conformances from our other facilities worldwide and there has been focus on this clause.