1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

IATF16949 clause no.10.2.5 Warranty Management System

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Pongsakorn, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Pongsakorn

Pongsakorn Active Member

IATF 16949 clause no.10.2.5 requires "Warranty Management System" to be established, please advise what should be the key contents in the Warranty Management System.

In addition, clause no.9.3.2.1 requires "Warranty Performance" to be an input for Management review, please advise what should be the key performance indicators for Warranty System.

2. Serious Man

Serious Man Active Member

Briefly.

System:
    1. Sources of information related to warranty (service) parts
    2. Methods of collecting warranty parts
    3. Methods of investigation of returned warranty parts
    4. No trouble found case management
    5. Reporting findings and implementing corrective actions
    6. Sharing lessons learned / preventive actions

Indicator:
    PPM - (warranty) parts per million (of parts delivered to customer)
    cost ratio - cost of warranty compensations against sales value

John C. Abnet and Pongsakorn like this.
  3. Pongsakorn

Pongsakorn Active Member

Serious Man, thank you so much for the brief explanation, it is very helpful for me.

4. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day all;
    The council from @Serious Man is very concise and beneficial. I would caution, however, that one may infer from the response that the term "warranty" (in the context of 10.20.5) may be synonymous with "service" parts and/or "PPM". Depending on the customer/supplier relationship, this may or may not be accurate.
    * PPM- Most organizations I work with, for example, "warrant" the product only to be free from defect upon delivery, and not beyond. PPM in those cases (external/customer) is simply a
    metric indicating what portion of supplied product met this initial criteria.
    * Service parts- Most of the organizations I have worked for/with provide service product as required by the OEM. In those cases, the "service parts" are sold as part of profit
    center within the organization and not provided under the auspices of any warranty.

Be well.

Pongsakorn likes this.
  5. Serious Man

I work for Tier-1. Contractually we are obliged to compensate some replacements of our primary assembled parts during car warranty period.
    First we are paid for service part used as replacement for defective primary assembled parts, whatever cause was - our fault, customer assembling or user misuse.
    Later we pay for replaced primary parts, which need to be replaced including replacement costs, due to our fault or NTF.

We know our sales quantities and sales value.
    We know replaced warranty quantities and cost value.
    In effect we can calculate PPM and cost.

Pongsakorn likes this.
  6. morteza

morteza Member

Hi all,

Thanks for your great explanation.
    There is a question with me about warranty management. My organization is manufacturer of stamping parts which are used in OEM site and never return from filed or end user. The product only may be rejected from OEM site.
    My question is that:
    Does warranty requirement scope only refer to products rejected from filed/service? Or it include products rejected from OEM site?

Thanks in advance

Pongsakorn likes this.
  7. Serious Man

Warranty starts from a moment of car purchase by user, so field/service is an only source of "warranty parts".

8. keithb00ne

keithb00ne New Member

Excellent response!