1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

What are products and services?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Qualmx, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Hello to all
    Into 9001, when is product and service?
    For example in a manufacture business, product could be rims, doors,ovens, etc.
    Business with Services ,normally are schools, call centers, but , in school, product could be the careers, teaching, so where Is the service?
    Same thing for first case (manufacture), product is clear, but the service couldn't be to transport rims, doors to client or provide some asistance? So will also have services?
    Please give some thoughts
    Thanks

2. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

While I am not quite certain I understand your question, I think you're making the issue more complicated than it needs to be.

Traditionally, I'm of the viewpoint that most organizations are either a manufacturer of a product OR a provider of a service. The fact that the manufacturer may also include a delivery of the product to their customer is simply part of how they meet their customer requirements - it doesn't necessarily mean that they are also a service.

Call centres or financial institutions are typically considered services. Their processes lead to an output of perhaps cash-in-hand or a product that now works...but that doesn't mean they're a manufacturer of a product.

Perhaps you can provide some clarification on why you are asking this question?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Qualmx likes this.
  3. pkfraser

pkfraser Active Member

I would not try to understand the ISO definitions and guidance in 9000/9001, since they are more complicated than they need to be. My definition is: (a Service is) a process performed for or on behalf of a customer that does not necessarily involve the transfer of goods or of ownership. Does that help?

Qualmx likes this.
  4. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Thanks Roxane
    Tha case is this, in a reseller company, only buy, get the merchandise,inspect it, generate the invoice, deliver to client and thats all.Could decide not applicate 8.3,for products, but for services? Are these activities just services? 8.3
    Design and development products and services.
    Thanks

5. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

They are services that involve (i.e., impact) the ability to provide a product that meets the Clients' requirements.

Again, I think you're over-complicating it.

Your organization needs to consider design and development activities as they apply to the organization's ability to meet Client requirements. Take the words product and service out. Ask yourself what does the organization design and develop in order to meet Client requirements.

Qualmx likes this.
  6. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Thanks Roxaneb

Well, for this activity I was thinking in declare non applicability of design and development based on this
    8.3 Design and development of products and services.

Since, I dont have product only have services, I think I could declare no applicability of 8.3 in products
    but applicable to only services?

Have doubts as how to manage this stuff.

PD , really Im not sure how applicable could be design and development if I dont have a clear idea
    at what extent should I have to consider D&D, if I just go to supplier, get merchandise and send it to client.
    Or Could I not apply D&D completely?

Summing up:
    -First, I only have services
    -Second, what criteria to follow to declare applicability to Design and development only in services?

Thanks again

7. BradM

BradM Moderator Staff Member

Hello Qualmx!

It seems that you have answered your own question.

The above is what you do.

So how do you go about buying? How do you assure quality when you purchase?
    What levels of inspection? How are they identified, measured? How is inspection aligned with customer expectations?
    Who generates the invoice? How do you know it's accurate?

What time frame do you deliver to the customer?
    When you deliver, do you drive by and throw out the window to them (ok.. I'm kind of joking on that one)? Or, do you require the customer to verify the order prior to you leaving?
    Does the product have to be stored in a certain manner?

Basically these are all process-related questions. Just like Roxane suggested... resist the temptation to get too bogged down in terminology and definitions. Map your processes, identify what is important to the customer, measure and control it.

jaltangerel and Qualmx like this.
  8. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

You don't need to exclude applicability of 8.3 on Products if you're a Service organization.

If your organization is the one responsible for the DnD of your services then your organization need to satisfy 8.3. There's no need to declare that 8.3 is applicable to your services.

jaltangerel and Qualmx like this.
  9. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Thanks Tony's

First- do you think said activities, could be services?
    Second- if I only have services, you say , no need to declare non app of D&D in products, because they can't be separated.
    Third- what can be D&D in my services?
    My activities are as simple as go with suppliers, get merchandise, do inspections, move them to our Warehouses , then delivery to clients.
    Where D&D fit in my activities?

Hope I ve explained clearly.
    Thanks again

10. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

I think your services fall under the logistics sector. You may check also this thread.

11. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Thanks Tony's
    Very appreciated your comments
    Really convinced, I can declare non app of D&D.