1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Question regarding next move from ISO 9001:2015

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Doug Scott, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Doug Scott

Doug Scott New Member

I am QM at a facility that is ISO 9001:2015 certified. Our customers are mandating ISO IATF. Here is my question...my management wants me to go from ISO 9001:2015...to ISO TS16949:2016....to ISO IATF. Does that sound like best approach? I noticed that ISO 9001:2015 is "set up" like ISO IATF. Is the planned route the best? Thank you.

2. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

No such thing as ISO TS 16949:2016. ISO and IATF have separated their standards.

ISO 9001:2015 forms the base of the IATF standard. Once you have that you can just implement the differences to IATF 16949. But make sure you know what you are getting into. IATF is no picnic.

John C. Abnet and johnnymo77 like this.
  3. Elena_Newbie

Elena_Newbie Member

If you have a customer specific requirement for IATF certification then you need to comply, IATF 16949:2016 has a separate standard but in conjunction with ISO 9001:2015. If your company is a sub-tier supplier to an automotive industry then much better to have an IATF certification you can check the Minimum Automotive QMS for Sub-Tiers Suppliers in the IATF website. Your company needs to have a production line producing a product for an automotive client to be certified to AITF.

4. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

I'm sure the original poster will find your information helpful @Elena-newbie. Thanks for being a part of this site and this discussion. Welcome.

Please allow me to add/clarify to your response @Elena_Newbie ....
    1- I'm assuming you simply made a typo. It should state "..IATF (not "AITF"). Thank you for graciously allowing me to point this out.
    2- The statement "...needs to have a production line producing a product for an automotive client to be certified to IATF." needs expounding. The IATF 16949 standard is required certification for organization's "...where manufacturing of customer-specified production parts, service parts, and/or accessory parts occur". (IATF 16949:2016 clause 1.1- Scope)
    The need for IATF 16949 certification is then required if the organization is a first tier supplier to an IATF member OEM, or, a 2nd, 3rd, etc..etc...tier supplier and the direct customer contractually requires IATF 16949 certification. The IATF 16949:2016 certification itself, does NOT specify/require certification to IATF 16949 for 2nd, 3rd, etc...etc.. tier suppliers...
    (reference IATF 16949:2016 clause 8.4.2.3)
    I would recommend that @Doug Scott determine the contractual requirements (i.e. sales contract, accepted supplier handbook, etc...) established with the customer via his Sales/Commercial Department (assuming @Doug Scott organization is not a 1st tier supplier to an IATF member OEM) to confirm if @Doug Scott 's organization is indeed required to be IATF 16949:2016 certified.

Hope this helps.

Be well.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    Elena_Newbie likes this.
  5. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

IATF is a customer requirement at all tiers. It is not a requirement in and of itself. 8.4.2.3 lays out the required supplier development from ISO 9001 thru IAFT, with several steps. Your customer should let you know where they want you to be.

Elena_Newbie likes this.
  6. Elena_Newbie

Elena_Newbie Member

Thank you for the clarification. IATF is our customer requirement, depending on our customer application we sometimes belong to the Tier 3 or Tier 2 supplier.

John C. Abnet likes this.
  7. Elena_Newbie

Elena_Newbie Member

We manufacture catalogue parts that are automotive grade, one of our customer require us to be certified to ISO/TS16949 before which we did. We belong to their Tier 2 suppliers.