1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

IATF 16949 9.2.2.3 Manufacturing Process Audit

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Victoria D, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Victoria D

Victoria D Member

Does performing layered audits satisfy the requirement for performing manufacturing process audits (9.2.2.3)?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

No, it doesn't. The competency requirements are quite different and the focus is quite different too.

3. Victoria D

Victoria D Member

I read an article and it was a bit confusing as it mentioned layered audits satisfying 9.2.2.3. Sounds like we should continue to "walk-through" control plans for each process then.

4. Andy Nichols

Many confuse the two. If you look at Layered Process audits, it tells you that they are for Manufacturing to do. Hence, you can get into bias and a lack of objectivity. Also, they simply focus on compliance to work instructions, not if those instructions are effective (which if you go back to history of LPAs was the root cause). Also, they stick to basocally the same schedule etc. albeit adjusted based on findings. TBH, if people had done effective internal audits of things such as WIs, Control Plans etc. the LPAs wouldn't be necessary!

I'd suggest doing basically CP audits, with attention to the Process Flow, important Control Points from the PFMEA and other things LPAs ignore. That way you'll discover more important stuff - systematically.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  5. Victoria D

Victoria D Member

Thanks, Andy. Being new to IATF I have a bit of a learning curve ahead of me and appreciate your feedback.

Atul Khandekar and Andy Nichols like this.
  6. Andy Nichols

You are very welcome and we are delighted that you're here for us to help!

Victoria D and Atul Khandekar like this.
  7. Elena_Newbie

Elena_Newbie Member

Just to share, If the customer requires for it then you have to conduct the LPA for that specific production line. We do QPA for the Manufacturing process audit.

8. johnnymo77

johnnymo77 Active Member

Like Chrysler...

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

Ryan S likes this.
  9. Andy Nichols

QPA?

10. Elena_Newbie

Elena_Newbie Member

QPA is Quality Process Audit, it's our division quality requirement in conducting a manufacturing process audit deployed to our sector It contains a list of questions for the 4Ms, our reference documents are PFMEA and Control Plans.

11. Teresa Nix

Teresa Nix Member

I have a question. I am disagreeing with a senior management person over the need to conduct audits for each customer whose product is manufactured on the same assembly line. Example, line 1 produces product for both Ford and FCA. The management person says an audit on line 1 is all that is needed, not an audit for each customer on line 1. I thoroughly disagree. The MP is calling the LINE a process. Yet I can find nothing that supports my claim that the process is different for different products, not just manufacturing lines. In one case, if we choose to audit just one product on a particular line, we have a customer that will not get audited at all, as that is the only line it is run on. I would like something as evidence to back me up, or back up the MP, whichever is correct. Does anyone know where I can get that backup? Thanks.

12. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Is it the same product coming off the line?

13. Teresa Nix

Teresa Nix Member

No, the products are different for each customer.

14. Golfman25

So here is what we do. As a stamper, we don't have dedicated lines, but each part has it's own tooling that runs in a particular press. If we had to audit each tool it would be unduly burdensome. So we audit one or two parts per customer. While each part and each tool is different, they basically go thru the same process. Hasn't been a problem for us.

Victoria D likes this.
  15. Teresa Nix

Teresa Nix Member

That is my problem. We run different parts for different customers on the same line. I'm being told that auditing ONE product for ONE customer on that line is sufficient. I do not agree. If three customers have parts that are produced on that same line, all three customer's parts/processes must be audited, NOT just one audit for the manufacturing line itself.

16. Golfman25

I think a lot would depend on the differences between the parts. If it is essentially the same part and process, then I would say one is enough as I could show applicability between the parts/customers. If the parts and process are different, then each should be audited.

17. Joseph Stephen

Joseph Stephen New Member

9.2.2.3 Manufacturing process audit
    In mentioned IATF clause, it is stated that audit all manufacturing processes over each three-year calendar period. Also within each individual audit plan, each manufacturing processes shall be audited on all shifts where it occurs.
    My question is while auditing a process according to plan, do we have to cover all 3 shifts in the same planned day or week? Or else can we audit each shift in different audit plan of a process given that it is covered in 3-year calendar period?

18. Gaby Leon

Gaby Leon New Member

Hello All

Someone has an example about audit with shift handover?

9.2.2.3 Manufacturing process audit
    Within each individual audit plan, each manufacturing process shall be audited on all shifts where it occurs, including the appropriate sampling of the shift handover.

19. morteza

morteza Member

Hi Victoria,
    In 2005, AIAG in CQI-8 (layered process audit) mentioned that:
    upload_2018-4-23_23-40-48.png

Fortunately, this paragraph has been removed in 2nd edition (2014).

Andy Nichols likes this.