1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Context of the Organization

Discussion in 'Documentation Control, Procedures, Templates,...' started by Jellybean, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Jellybean

Jellybean Member

Does anyone have a procedure I could view to understand the concept of this new clause?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

May I ask why you think a procedure will help? I have implemented this requirement many times and a procedure wasn't at all necessary.

3. Jellybean

Jellybean Member

I have added to our Quality Manual - Scope of products and services we provide. - External& Internal Interested parties, - Company overview, -Our mission(Strategic goal). I am not sure if this is enough to satisfy the requirement.

4. Andy Nichols

No, not even close. Please read the context of the organization again. Let me know what you think it's talking about.

5. Jellybean

Jellybean Member

This is what I get from this section.

Identifying internal and external issues. Identifying external & Internal Interested parties and there needs as it pertains to the QMS.
    Document, monitor and review these as they relate to our strategic direction.

6. Andy Nichols

So, you didn't include anything about the internal and external issues which (and this is also missing from your description) are going to affect the ability of your QMS to deliver... These are going to be pretty "sensitive" to the organization and possibly shouldn't be shared in any manual (or in a procedure) which could go outside the organization. I've found that the management review requirements are, in many cases, addressing much of this - particularly the interested parties part.

7. Jellybean

Jellybean Member

I have verbiage in the QMS Manual that describes our procedure for handling internal and external issues as well as Interested parties, No actual issues are present in the manual.
    I do call out interested parties in the management review procedure. For internal and external issues we do not call out this specific term "internal and external issues" We use corrective or preventive actions.

8. Andy Nichols

I think you are missing the point. The idea of this part of the context is to take a look - strategically - at issues which can impact (positively and negatively) the performance of your QMS. Please search on other posts on this subject where I expand on how the context leads to the section 6 planning and so on. I believe, based on what you've written regarding corrective and preventive actions, you're confusing "today's" issues with those of "tomorrow".

9. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

I am guessing a lot of what you need is part of the development of your strategic goals.

10. Jellybean

Jellybean Member

correct!

11. Stephen Cotter

Stephen Cotter New Member

Hey,

New here. To satisfy this clause - I wrote an exhaustive list of issues (good and bad) observed over the past year, plucked a few winners and listed them in my MRM for management to discuss. Identified/ Documented and will continue to review and update - help?

The PPAP Assassin likes this.
  12. The PPAP Assassin

The PPAP Assassin Active Member

13. Said BELAJ

Said BELAJ Member

Hi,

If your company is implementing ISO 9001:2015, the context of the orginazation should be documented. In this case you can refer to it or just copy it in your procedure related to Document Management.

14. Andy Nichols

I wouldn't agree. The requirements for the Context of the Org. have zero to do with document management.

15. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

The only subclause under clause 4 that requires a specific documented information that must be maintained is 4.3 i.e. scope of QMS. Many would create a list of internal/external issues or list of interested parties and their needs and expectations but these are not the intent of clauses 4.1 and 4.2. Refer to the statement under A.6 of the standard with the following statements:

Where this International Standard refers to “information” rather than “documented information” (e.g. in
    4.1: “The organization shall monitor and review the information about these external and internal issues”),
    there is no requirement that this information is to be documented. In such situations, the organization
    can decide whether or not it is necessary or appropriate to maintain documented information.