1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Has anyone used the free Oxebridge kit?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Aleforge, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Aleforge

Aleforge New Member

I am in a extremely crappy position currently. I have 30 days to convert my companies old ISO:9001-2008 system to the new 2015 standard. I have been looking around for some type of guide / template and came across the Oxebridge site. I read through their guide and looked at the manuals and lined everything side by side. Of course nothing matched up.

So I kept reading their guide and it was noted that you just needed a cross reference to help auditors know where to find each 9001 requirement. Considering I have a manual I am wondering what I might need to change in regards to the index? Do I need to just have each requirement satisfied and noted on it's location, or do I need to go into heavy detail on what each requirement entails like the book is now?

I also noticed this paragraph:

Quality Manual – Mini Manual Version: this variant provides a tiny 5-page manual that could be printed on a grain of rice, if you wanted. Some people love this approach, so more power to them. It only includes an overview of COTO, the process approach, scope of the QMS, and then a list of subordinate procedures. Given that ISO 9001:2015 no longer requires a Quality Manual at all, even five pages is technically overkill.

Seriously!? Does anyone actually fly free of a mountain sized manual? I can't see NOT having one at all... but the 5 page provided example is insanely awesome. I have a feeling no one really does that but wanted to ask. Although, my auditor did say last time that there were some companies with very simple 2015's.

(sorry this is so long)

So I suppose my final question / confusion is what needs to be added? I am having a hard time grasping what I need to create to satisfy the new standard.

Thanks for the help!

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Aleforge: Welcome. Yes, I have used a 3 page manual for many years for even ISO 9001:2008 and ISO/TS 16949! In 30 days that upgrade should be fairly straightforward. Yes, it'll be a busy time, but not impossible. How big is your organization?

3. Aleforge

Aleforge New Member

Hi Andy,

Thank you very much for responding!

Our organization has around 27-29 employees. So it's not big however currently my manual is 32 pages long. I want to make this as simple (who doesn't) as possible. And obviously I am tight on time.

I looked up some of the changed requirements, but I am not having a ton of luck, at least on detailed information (mostly blog entries). I noticed one place list some side by side and it seems maybe the names changed on some? For instance Quality Management System is now Context of the Organization, management responsibility is now leadership... etc?

Things just seem weird, I am not sure why the 2015 standard just didn't make a few additions to the index and leave the rest alone.

Anyhow that is good to hear that a tiny manual is doable and passes audits. Oxebridge offers an example one, but it's so simple my mind is being blown trying to figure out how to proceed.

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Welcome! Are you in the USA, by any chance? Frankly, all you would have to do, to save you time is do the following:

• A SWOT analysis to identify internal and external issues
    • A plan to address those issues which are of significance (a 5 x 5 matrix to analyze the importance and occurrence helps to bubble up the important/urgent ones)
    • Identify interested parties and any requirements they might have.
    • Document the above in a management review plus any changes to the QMS you deem needed by 2015
    • Do audits of the new requirements you've put into place and any changes
    • Do your corrective actions
    • Hold another mgmt review
    • Do your CB audit.
    I may have overlooked a couple of things, without knowing more. I can be contacted (in the USA at 248-938-2631)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    David Sheaffe likes this.
  5. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Aleforge

Ive used a 5 pages manual and it covers what ISO requires.
    And also have uses some parts of documents from Oxebridge if you need some help.

Regards

Aleforge likes this.
  6. Zebra418

Zebra418 Member

I have used them and had some success with it. It has a lot of basic boiler plate so you don't have to fill it all out.

7. Aleforge

Aleforge New Member

I suppose my main issue is changing from a 35+ page manual down to the tiny one Oxebridge provides. If I could do that it would be amazing. Do I just need to fill in what it asks and come up with a way to reference the required documents and processes? Do they need to correlate with the standards numbering system? Reading the provided "guide" it said (lol) that you didn't even need a true matching index just all the requirements filled, in fact the large one they gave didn't match up with the at least old numbering system. However obviously I don't want to risk that as there was a "disclaimer". =P

So right now I have the file opened and I am tossing in things like "Scope" and adding the company name (over and over). I of course have everything already created in regards to 2008. So my last hangup is on what else I need to come up with for the change over. /shrug

Thanks for the help!

8. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Don't overthink it. A "quality manual" can be short and sweet. We have our quality policy, scope, process map, and few feel good comments in it. The most important and helpful thing is the matrix with references where each requirement of the standard is addressed. That is where you should spend your time.

As for numbering system, it's time to completely ignore the ISO numbering system. The standard jumps around too much to make it of much use any longer. We put our system together by processes and numbered them accordingly. So all management owned processes are x.x, manufacturing are y.y. etc.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  9. Aleforge

Aleforge New Member

Thank you all for the replies and help!

Golfman25,

Alright, if I understand you correctly I skip on the ISO numbering system (like 7.1, 3.0, etc etc). But I can create my own index and just say A.1 is this. That freaks me out to think about (lol). How do auditors complete their audit off of that. During my internal audit my guide goes by the ISO sections one by one. And it seems the ISO auditor flips through each section the same way. Plus there are so many subsets of each section (7,7.1,7.2 etc).

I can imagine I am over thinking this by everyone's responses. I am just staring right now at my 2008 quality manual index and each clause has it's own number, as well as a paragraph dedication to each that contains a long drawn out written description.

Again thank you very much!

10. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

They should not be going "clause by clause." They should be going process by process. The way you guide the auditor is via the matrix which lines up the clauses with your processes and procedures where they are addressed. For example, for us cause 5, 6, and 9.3 are all handled in our management review and business planning processes, which are numbered with 4s and 5s in our system. So we have references to those areas for those clauses. Even if the guy goes clause by clause, you can just give him the matrix and leave the room. He'll be able to figure it out. Good luck.