1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Gage Calibrations

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by JohnS, Sep 27, 2017.

1. JohnS

JohnS New Member

I am looking into the best way to make sure our pitch mic standards are certified without having to have them redone every year. This system was in place before I took this job and there aren't previous certifications for the standards here. I know I will need to get them certified, but after that, can I just put them into our gage system and make the length of certification good for the life of the standard?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure what you mean when you say there's no previous certifications, but here's what I suggest: Get your mics calibrated by an accredited lab to "baseline" them. Then set up your recall based on use, not time-based which is always the (ineffective) default. If you are using thread mics frequently on the shop floor, then they may well wear far faster than in a year. I've had screw plug gauges gauging stainless steel wear in weeks...

The PPAP Assassin likes this.
  3. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

The problem is, when you need to get them certified, you may need to get certification from accredited laboratories. These laboratories, usually, set the next due date after they have done the calibration of your standards. If you are the one who will set the length of certification/calibration, you have to demonstrate your organization's capability to perform calibration.

4. Andy Nichols

Actually, Tony, ISO/IEC 17025 prohibits them from doing this, since they have no idea of useage...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    tony s likes this.
  5. The PPAP Assassin

The PPAP Assassin Active Member

You should order a set of "master" thread gauges to use only for calibrating, maybe just 2-3 standard sizes (Make sure they come with certs). Those "master" gauges would need to be sent to an accredited lab on a 2-3 year basis (or sooner based on usage frequency) to maintain calibration. Make sure the certs they provide are NIST traceable. I used to work for a fastener company and we did this all the time. Think of it as using gauge blocks to calibrate standard mics and calipers. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  6. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Nice to know Andy. I hope you won't mind if you can post the exact statement and clause in ISO/IEC 17025. I will need to use this as reference. Thanks.

7. BradM

BradM Moderator Staff Member

Here you go (from 2005 version):

"5.10.4.4 A calibration certificate (or calibration label) shall not contain any recommendation on the calibration interval except where this has been agreed with the customer. This requirement may be
    superseded by legal regulations."

Intervals need to be risk/usage-based, and there is no way the mfg. knows all the variables. It creates issues (auditors get all nervous) when there is a due date on a certificate and an alternative recall date is used.

8. Andy Nichols

Thanks, Texas dude!:D

BradM likes this.
  9. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Many thanks BradM.:)

BradM likes this.