1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Greetings Everyone, Another Newbie Here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dubbyah1, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Dubbyah1

Dubbyah1 New Member

Hope all is well with you guys. I'm new to the forum and new to the field of quality as well. I was hired on as a Quality Engineer for a plastics company in March 2017. Honestly, my on the job training has been limited. Do you have any recommendations for self-study that can further enhance my knowledge and increase my ability to add value to my company? I have become more familiar with PPAP, FMEA, SPC, and audits in relation to certain ISO standards. I know there is so much more to learn but I want to focus on establishing a solid foundation of basic knowledge and best practices. It's a little difficult for me to gauge where I am with the limited feedback I'm getting. Any suggestions from veterans or newbies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

Dubbyah1 and Andy Nichols like this.
  3. Dubbyah1

Dubbyah1 New Member

Thank you Miner. Right now I'm working my way through the Quality Engineering Handbook. I'll make it a point to look into the sources you've cited. Thanks

4. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Miner lists a lot of good technical sources...but I think it's also important to understand the business component. I recommend "Good to Great" by Jim Collins...you don't need an MBA to understand his messaging.

Quality goes beyond the numbers. You should have an ability to take the technical, statistical knowledge and translate it into everyday speak. To say, as an example, that you have 15% downtime when you run Product A, but only 2% with Product B is a nice start to the story, but what does it mean? Why is there such a large difference between the two products? There is a strong people component to quality that is often overlooked by people in our field.

Jennifer Kirley likes this.
  5. Dubbyah1

Dubbyah1 New Member

Great advice RoxaneB! This is a new career for me. My background is Public Service (Law Enforcement) so the people component is critical to me. Looks like the Jim Collins piece can help me with merging the parallels. Thank you

6. Nikki

Nikki Well-Known Member

Welcome!

7. normzone

normzone Well-Known Member

[Dubbyah1], welcome to the trade. Someday you'll look back on your previous career and think something like "Boy, I sure do miss working at the prison, it was a lot easier and more fun too ! "

Or perhaps working in the Quality field was a condition of your parole - I know I'm eligible when I turn seventy. ;-)

But seriously, what [RoxaneB] said - the people skills are what make or break you in this field. You have to be both a cop and a coach.

8. Colin Pitman

Colin Pitman Member

Welcome! I'm new to the field too and this site has been invaluable to me. Good luck in your new career!