1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

question on this statement

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Zebra418, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Zebra418

Zebra418 Member

I have a question on this statement. It seems to me IMHO that this thinking is backwards and it’s the base of a lot of confusion with trying to comply with the requirements.

4.3 Determining the scope of the quality management system

4.3q1 The organization shall determine the boundaries and applicability of the quality management system to establish its scope. How have the boundaries and applicability of the QMS been used to establish the

scope of the organization?

The scope of my organization should be the foundation and the driving force behind my QMS, not the other way around.

I would like your thoughts on this, it seems that we are all trying to make our QMS more difficult than it needs to be.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I think you're looking at this more analytically than it needs to be. When you think scope, think microscope/telescope. In other words, what's the QMS focused on? Many years ago, when I worked for (Rank) Xerox, we designed, manufactured, installed, commissioned, and serviced office duplicating equipment. We could have applied the QMS to all or part of that "scope". It'll depend upon risk and interested parties, needs and expectations and also consideration of regulations and other factors. As a result of considering what activities/products are "in" scope and what are "out" is going to assist in defining how extensive the QMS and its documentation are going to be. Clearly, if design and manufacture is the scope, the amount of processes, quality objectives, documentation and so on is going to be (far) less than the whole "9 yards" of all of the products and activities. Does this help?

Zebra418 likes this.
  3. Colin Pitman

Colin Pitman Member

I was looking at this clause today too, and not without a bit of head-scratching. Your explanation here is a big help to me even if not to Zebra. Thanks.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  4. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

Scope is addressed in a section starting on page 19 of the book I recommended.

5. Zebra418

Zebra418 Member

Andy, thank you for the response, yes it does. I am glad I was not the only one Colin. :confused:

Andy Nichols likes this.
  6. Zebra418

Zebra418 Member

Jennifer, what book would that be please?

7. Colin Pitman

Colin Pitman Member

Zebra418 likes this.
  8. Zebra418

Zebra418 Member

Thanks Colin...

9. KyleG

KyleG Active Member

I know this is an old post, but the book recommended is AWESOME! i have been reading it daily and it has helped me tremendously