1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.
  1. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I was "lurking" at the Elsmar Cove forum and I noted a comment that an auditor made, regarding calibration and asking operators what they know about the status of the gauges they use. Surely, this is the wrong questions isn't it? It's obvious that ISO 9001 hasn't a "shall" which says anything about this, so an auditor shouldn't be asking such a question.

Wouldn't it be better to ask management if they know how valid measurement results are obtained? Or another way of looking at it is that when a cop pulls you over for speeding, do they ask you if your speedometer is calibrated?

Nikki likes this.
  2. hogheavenfarm

hogheavenfarm Well-Known Member

I followed that, but it was referenced to 16949, so I just watched. 9001 does not specify exactly how to do this but who knows, maybe the (new) 16949 does.
    As far as I am aware, we are only required to have a unique number on each gage. If there is room for a tag, I tag it with the cal date due, if not, it generally is cross referenced to my spreadsheet where calibration information lives. I also keep a hard copy log in a binder just for ease of access to others, not full of the details, just the dates, interval, and unique number.

3. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

I never asked if folks knew about the calibration status of their equipment, but for things like tapes, I'd ask how they knew it was okay to use the tape...or what they did if they thought the tape was wonky. While there may not be a shall on it, this was applicable and appropraite to our own internal processes and documentation that had the operators understanding their role - and responsibility - towards quality.

4. indicator

indicator Member

ISO 9001 8.5.1 B) the availability and use of suitable monitoring and measuring resources.
    ISO 9001 8.5.1 e) the appointment of competent persons
    I will support auditor. Surely there was a gap within the organisation.

5. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

But an operator doesn't have to know. It could be as simple as "my boss gave it too me."

Andy Nichols likes this.