1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

ISO 9001:2008 quality management manual template?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2008 - Quality Management Systems' started by sw.jeon, Sep 7, 2017.

1. sw.jeon

sw.jeon New Member

Hello, this is my first creating thread.

I am kind of suspicious that this kind of question is admissible, also English is not my first language, so please make allowance for those factors.

I have to submit quality management manual of ISO 9001 :2008 for external audit to register my company.

The problem is, auditor want us to submit the manual written in English, but my company only has an my native language manual.

So, I have to prepare Quality management manual being written in English.

Do I have to purchase 'template(or form?)', or is there any other way?

One of this site moderator(RoxaneB) posted reply on other thread(maybe it was also a manual form request for ISO 9001:2015, which does not require Quality management Manual?), for basic manual writing, get the standard of ISO 9001, and change the word 'organization' to 'company name.' but the problem is, I cannot find ISO 9001 standard..

Please help, or any other tips, or correction of my idea if there is any false ideas.

2. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

I would think you need to translate your manual from one language to another. Not sure what good and English manual does you since I assume your company doesn't speak English. Maybe get an auditor who knows your language?

Andy Nichols likes this.
  3. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

If you cannot find a copy of the standard, how have you determined if your organization meets all of the requirements of the standard?

Andy Nichols likes this.
  4. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day sw.jeon;
    Your question is quite broad, but please allow me to provide what assistance I can.
    1- ISO 9001 standard
    While your original post is on the ISO 9001:2008 forum, I infer from it that your organization is not currently registered to the ISO 9001 standard. If that is the case, your organization may indeed by well advised to establish a Quality Management System (QMS) consistent with the most recently released ISO 9001:2015. Regardless, RoxaneB's comment ..."how have you determined if your organization meets all of the requirements of the standard?" is indeed a good question that your organization will need to review. If your organization does not have the desired version of ISO 9001, then you can easily purchase on-line and in multiple language options @https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/. Your organization will definitely need to invest in copy(ies) of the standard and educate yourselves on the requirements therein.

2- Quality Manual
    A- The term "Quality Manual" is a bit of an enigma and frequently misunderstood. ISO does not stipulate the medium nor method nor the entire content of a
    "Quality Manual". ISO 9001:2008 does indeed specifically require a quality manual and does indeed stipulate the minimum requirements/inclusions within the
    quality manual. Typically, a quality manual includes those items stipulated in ISO 9001:2008 4.2.2 and other macro level information regarding the Quality Policy,
    structure of the QMS, key processes and their interactions, etc...While the quality manual does not typically included the procedural ("who-what-when") level
    documentation and/or the work instruction ('how") level documentation and/or forms, it nevertheless can included these items. Again, there is no prescribe format or
    requirement beyond those minimum inclusions stated in 4.2.2.
    You also correctly indicate that ISO 9001:2015 does not require a so called "quality manual".
    B- You mention that your "...auditor wants us to submit the manual written in English...". Be sure your organization creates a QMS that serves your organization and
    not the auditor. The ISO 9001 standard does not stipulate a language.

3- Summary It is difficult to fully understand your situation and provide clear direction from the limited information we know of your organization. My best advice...

A- Ensure top management owns the responsibility for the QMS and provides the necessary resources to ensure its success.
    B- Purchase the standard and attend training opportunities and/or consider a consultant from the members on this forum or elsewhere to teach and support.
    C- Create your QMS selfishly to ensure it not only captures your organization's current effective methodologies, but also serves the needs of your organization (i.e.
    don't simply create it to serve the auditor or even your customers. Meeting the requirements of the ISO standard while doing the right thing for your organization
    are the best ways to serve your customers and auditors.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    tony s and normzone like this.
  5. indicator

indicator Member

Agree with you. It doesn't matter what language, the principle of the ISO would be same. Can't you request for a different auditor who knows your native language? I am pretty sure you can change the certification company as well.

6. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

It is expected, even in ISO 19011 standard for guidance in auditing, that auditors should have the necessary skills that include the use of the appropriate language of the audit. If I'm the auditor and a Filipino citizen, should I require an American company to provide me a copy of their QM in Pilipino language?

7. sw.jeon

sw.jeon New Member

Thank you for your helps and comments.
    Well, it is kind of confess... I am a new guy of my company, and also I am not familiar with field, so maybe(or surely) I asked kind of dumb question.

Thank you for your answering.
    Well, I need to ask to my superior where I can find the standard of ISO 9001:2008, because I am sure that my company has a ISO 9001:2008.
    That standard, by the way, is in the form of soft copy or hard copy? Or both?

I do not know how to link your id on this page, so I linked your greetings here.
    Thank you for your kind and specific explanation for me. I wrote my situation so vague, anyway you explained as much as you can.
    The exact situation is that my company is business company(usually procurement of construction and etc, usually deals with oversea company), so my superior might have thought we need
    to submit Quality Management Manual in English. QMS is one the requirements to get in the EPC(Engineering Procurement Construction)'s Partner list.
    I need to talk about this with my superior maybe.
    Again, I am so appreciate it.

Other guys, also thank you so much.

8. indicator

indicator Member

Both, it depends on how you purchased the standard.