1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

The mitigation plan is it the opportunity in Risks?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Qualmx, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Hello everyone

While dealing with risks and opportunities, in 9001 2015, I have two questions, hopefully I can get some help.
    If I detect a risk, okay, I evaluate it and based on the impact I define an action plan and based on that leaves me a residual risk and here comes the first question.
    The residual risk Is evaluated before putting to work the action or after?
    And the second is the opportunity, Assume that the risk is, possible loss of an important customer and is of high impact, and my plan of action is to find other new customers, is that my opportunity?
    I mean the plan to find new customers?, or are some other action but related to the identified risk?

Thanks

2. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

Residual risks shouted evaluated before moving forward. There will be times when that is not practical such as during a current active crisis and even a partially effective mitigation will help.

Opportunities are separate from risks.

Trying to get more Customers to offset the loss of a current customer may be an opportunity, but it's not a very good mitigation of losing a current customer. If you don't understand why the current customer wants to leave, how will you prevent your new customers - adn other current customers from leaving as well? Perhaps you can't stop your customer from leaving but if you understand why he did then you have a chance of keeping other customers...

Noah's Ark and Qualmx like this.
  3. Nick1

Nick1 Member

You should always try to get an idea of the residual risk the moment you plan on your actions. However, the reality might be differ in the end which means that you might end up with a different residual risk. But always strive to follow the action plan which should lead to the planned residual risk.

When it comes to bringing in new customer in fear of losing a big customer, this sounds more like a mitigation plan than an opportunity. You mitigate the risk of being dependent on this big customer by distributing income over a lot more customers.

Qualmx likes this.
  4. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

RBT is a concept that adds more value during planning, so I would recommend BEFORE.

It can be. However, since it will require more effort to attract new customers than to retain the existing ones, give more weight in the opportunities to:
    • know what will make your customer loyal to you;
    • know what will make your customer leave you and look for another.
    Even in personal relationships, if anybody anticipates that his/her partner's affection is wavering, it's less appealing recourse to start looking for another partner as an opportunity.;)

Qualmx likes this.
  5. Qualmx

Qualmx Well-Known Member

Thanks Tony s

Do you have practical examples of risk in manufacturing processes?
    and also in opportunities?

Additional, how to evaluate if an opportunity is worth the effort to implement it?

In the same way a risk is evaluated its impact to decide the action plans.

Thanks

6. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

I have it in the PFMEA

Qualmx likes this.
  7. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

I'm using also what MCW8888 is using for manufacturing processes.