1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Scope of the management system

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Glenn0004, Jun 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Glenn0004

Glenn0004 Member

I'm in the process of moving a sales and service organisation to a UKAS certified management system (previously maintained a non-UKAS certificate) at the same time as moving to the 2015 standard. Being a sales and service organisation we have Head Office and Central Distribution Centers as well as numerous sales offices that are used for local sales and service personal to work from. Top Management want to exclude the sales offices from the scope of the management system. I have a concern that as sales and service personal are assigned to a local sales office (that is / are excluded from scope), we can not claim that sales and service provision is / are being delivered by processes that are part of the ISO 9001 management system. I'm I correct in this line of thought?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Seems, odd and often such a thought by management means they don't understand the value/use of a QMS. However, that said, it depends on what "sales" does. If they generate leads and provide quotes, there is potential to exclude them. If management have understood the "Context of the Organization" and through a SWOT analysis or similar looked at internal/external issues etc. then I rather doubt they'd exclude sales. You may wish to revisit their understanding. BTW it's UKAS accreditation. UKAS accredit certification bodies.

3. Glenn0004

Glenn0004 Member

Thanks Andy - At the moment I'm collating information for a CATWOE analysis of key departments within the supply process from customer to delivery (including post delivery activities). I'll be following up with a PESTLE and SWOT analysis based on the CATWOE. To add some context to the role of "sales", they manage existing accounts, find new business, provide proposals to both new and existing customers new or replacement equipment (printers) and then piece together the required contracts and sales agreements for the customer to sign before submitting the completed paperwork to the head office for processing. Previously, the sales function have been central to 9001:2015 - 8.2.1; 8.2.2, 8.2.3. Are we saying if we exclude field sales locations we have the premise to exclude these requirements, if not how would we meet these requirements?

4. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

There are ISO 9001-certified organizations that have sales offices located outside of the address indicated in their ISO certificate such as Japanese manufacturing companies here in the Philippines. Usually their sales offices are based in their country and just relay the orders to production controllers working in the manufacturing plants here. However, if these companies decided to exclude sales, they cannot automatically claim that clauses 8.2.1 to 8.2.3 are not applicable.

Andy Nichols likes this.