1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

First certification audit

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Rajan Gupta, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Rajan Gupta

Rajan Gupta Member

During first certification audit what all things does an organization has to demonstrate to auditor inoreder to get ISO 9001 : 2015 certifcation ?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Have you asked your Certification Body? They should be communicating this to you.

3. Rajan Gupta

Rajan Gupta Member

Andy since i am starting this project for the first time can you give me the glimpse what are minimum bare requirement do i need to follow

4. yodon

yodon Well-Known Member

Certification audits confirm compliance to the standard - or at least all of it you list in scope. The initial audit is going to look at every clause you have in scope and will expect evidence to demonstrate compliance. If, for example, you haven't gotten to some of the downstream items like, say, customer satisfaction, they may just look at your procedures to ensure they align. They will expect evidence of an internal audit and a management review. But really, Andy is spot on: talk to your certification body.

5. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

If this is your first project, foremost of all you may want to attend any awareness training out there. As Andy said please contact your certification body and get a contract with them. Way back in (long ago) we did a lot of training on ISO9001:1995 on Documentation (Manual, procedures, work instructions, forms etc..) then we audit these documents to conform to the 20 element standards then we have a Management Review, stage one and stage 2 by the CB auditor. You may add a pre-assessment by an outside auditor that is not your certifying auditor. This was a 6 month journey but for those who never had any experience it could be a 12 to 16 month journey. I hope sharing my experience helps.

6. Andy Nichols

There's 2 basic stages to the Certification Audit:

Stage 1 - is a preparation and planning visit. The CB auditor will check that a) you have a QMS, in place and operational and that it's been at least performing to the quality objective (measurably). They check you've got an internal audit programme and have done a management review. They report on issues which might lead to a non-conformity at the "stage 2". The prepare the stage 2 audit plan. That's all. No auditing of implementation at this stage. If they are, then they need to stop.

Stage 2 - they audit your processes from the input of a (customer) requirement to the delivery (shipping) of product/service. The 1 - 5 from above is probably one auditor's ideas of how to do the audit and shouldn't be used as a guideline, IMHO, of the Certification process.

7. askartsolutions

askartsolutions Member

Andy, one, you are partially correct in explaining the two stages of a Certification audit and two it is not what Rajan asks. He wants to know what must be done by his organization to demonstrate conformity to ISO 9001 and get certified. He is not asking about the Registrars process for conducting an audit. If his organization diligently implements a QMS that answers the above 5 questions for each of its QMS processes, it should have no problem getting ISO 9001:2015 certified. This is not my opinion or conjecture. It is based on my knowledge & experience. I wrote the accredited Lead Auditor course for BSI and have over 350 third party audits under my belt.
    Btw, I apologize if I violated any of your posting rules. I was unaware that posting valuable content with a link constituted spam. Please provide direction under what conditions I may post with a link if at all.

8. Balasubramanyam K

Balasubramanyam K Member

Stage-I audit requirements : 3rd party auditors from certification body review your QMS documents adequacy and adherence to the ISO9001:2015 system requirements. To the minimum Quality manual, Quality procedures, Quality policy, Quality objectives, Internal audit records, Management review to be submitted.

Stage-II audit will be performed after satisfactory results from stage-I audit, this audit focuses on compliance to QMS, more emphasis on documents/records evidences on actual place (onsite).

9. Andy Nichols

I'll await the OP's response. Interesting that you wrote the BSI Lead Auditor course. I worked at Excel Partnership and we actually wrote the (first ever) BSI Lead Auditor course, back in the early 1990's and then licensed it to them over many years.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017