1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

IATF/AIAG CQI Requirement

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Patrick G., May 19, 2017.

1. Patrick G.

Patrick G. Member

My name is Patrick. I am new to quality. I received an email from one of our customers. Here is their request.

"As part of (customer) certification for TS16949 we are required to ask our suppliers to complete the Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) assessments that are applicable to the product(s) you supply to (customer). These assessments can be found at: http://www.aiag.org.
    We ask that you complete each assessment that is applicable to your product(s) and retain them for review.
    A simple email back to me acknowledging this request is all that is required at this time. Either state which CQIs are applicable to your processes or let me know that none of them are applicable."

This is new to me. I went to the AIAG site, but not really sure what I'm looking for. I saw some assessments you have to purchase for like $300.

Can someone give me some insight on this?

Thanks in advance.

Patrick

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I suspect that they have written into their procedures - because there's nothing in ISO/TS 16949 (or the IATF 16949 requirements) for anything like this. If you do "special" processes, like heat treating, then there's a CQI for that. They really should have made this a requirement of their purchase order/contractual requirement, instead of a blanket statement. Depending on how big this customer is to you (revenue) you might want to ask for their guidance as to the actual CQI (if they know) and that you will need a PO for it, and it will be a cost added to the invoices you send...

tony s likes this.
  3. Patrick G.

Patrick G. Member

Hey thanks for that. You know, I think it's going to end up being a email saying it doesn't apply to us. All we do is take their own product and die cut it. Nothing else. I also didn't recall any requirement like that. Our HQ is TS, but my location is just ISO 9001:2008. So that kinda confused me. I didn't want to ask them for direction and show my ignorance in case this was a normal thing. They're not a huge customer, so yeah a $300 assessment would be a no-go without them paying for it.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, it's likely a "one size fits all" communication so they don't have to think about it! The worst type of supplier relationship...

5. Patrick G.

Patrick G. Member

No doubt. "Brainless emails".

Anders Kemper likes this.