1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Can our Quality Policy state ISO9001:2015 even though we don't have it yet?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Flamacue, May 3, 2017.

1. Flamacue

Flamacue New Member

Hello,

I am in the process of updating our Quality Policy. I wish to display this in our reception on a giant poster, on which our employees can sign their names against.

Hopefully this will help our employees know where this can be found, and they will read to understand it before signing to show some "engagement".

On our last internal audit (a ISO9001:2015 gap analysis) the auditor made an observation that the policy should not make reference to ISO9001:2008. We currently do not have ISO9001:2015 certification so I am not sure whether or not to make reference to the new standard on the policy?

Can anybody advise me on this?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I agree - but for different reasons. I wouldn't include ANYTHING specific about compliance to the ISO standard. It's completely sufficient to include "compliance with requirements", as this covers many things, which should be "built in" to your management system.

Jennifer Kirley likes this.
  3. hogheavenfarm

hogheavenfarm Well-Known Member

Since "latest revision" is always implied, why not just refer to ISO 9001? You are not registered to a revision, but the current configuration of 9001.

4. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

I agree with Andy and your auditor. Organizations don't need to mention the QMS standard/s which they subscribe on their Quality Policy. You can check the clauses on both versions of the ISO 9001 standard to verify about this.

5. Flamacue

Flamacue New Member

Thanks everyone, reassuring to know this.

6. John O'Toole

John O'Toole New Member

Hi guys,
    For my ISO27001 transition audit i was given a minor Non-Conformance for having incorrect version number on any reference in policies and procedures.
    I replaced all references as "ISO27001" without any version numbering and i was given a green light.

:)

7. hogheavenfarm

hogheavenfarm Well-Known Member

Yes, technically there is only one version of an ISO standard, the current one. It Is possible to have two "versions" applicable, as in the transition time from 2008 to 2015 (the three year window), but the point is that the "latest" version is the current one. Leaving the date of the version out implies "the latest version", whether you are running to 2008 or 2015, as 2008 would be "in transition". I only used "ISO9001" here until the 2015 version came out, now that we are not pursuing it I have modified our policy to state "compliant to ISO9001:2008", since we are restricting it to a specific version.

8. Andy Nichols

Your auditor was wasting their - and your - time...

9. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day;
    ISO 9001: 2008 and 2015 versions do indeed both have a requirements for an established "Quality Policy". section 5.3 of the 2008 version and section 5.2 of 2015 version are extremely similar in regards to the actual requirements. Except for any unwitting references to a specific revision (i.e. 2008 vs 2015) it is unlikely that a well written quality policy which satisfies the needs of the 2008 version, would not indeed meet the requirements of the 2015 version. Based on the information you have provided, I would tend to agree with your auditor and remove any reference to a specific standard and/or revision date from your quality policy. Remember, the quality policy should work for you and your organization and not the auditor (as long as it meets the specific requirements set forth by the standard). Beyond this, I would recommend never actually referencing a revision date on most of your documentation. These dates will continue to be at risk of changing every few years and you may regret referencing specific revision dates. Hope this helps.

Atul Khandekar likes this.
  10. Lennart Ljungh

Lennart Ljungh Member

To answer this properly you need to put the reference in context. Where is the reference to ISO 9001:2008 written?

The general Quality Policy doesn't need to tell that you are aiming at a specific standard. On the other hand, if you in a quote or reference points to an ISO-standard I think it should be with version.

11. Andy Nichols

The paradox is, very few actually read the policy (in my experience) and even less care about ISO 9001 - and hence, what "version" is being mentioned. The vast majority of the population of an organization need to know much about ISO 9001 requirements. It's probably one of the least "useful" requirements of the standard, witness the fact that, after 25 years, we're only now required to have our quality policies "aligned" to the strategic direction. The requirement could be removed and no-one would care/notice. So many of them claim to "exceed customers' expectations" and yet, the organizations making these claims often can't even deliver on time...