1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Key QMS processes

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Balasubramanyam K, May 2, 2017.

1. Balasubramanyam K

Balasubramanyam K Member

How to define/identify/select the key QMS processes for IATF 16949:2016 of an automotive industry?

2. charanjit singh

charanjit singh Member

Let me see if I have understood your question: All QMS processes, for example, can be divided into 3 broad categories: Management Processes, Key Processes & Support Processes.

Management Processes are those in which top management is directly involved - like Internal Audit, Management review etc.
    Key Processes are those that mainly form the scope of your QMS: e.g. Design function, Production & Sales/ delivery.
    Support Processes are that that facilitate the functioning of key processes, like Purchase, Outsourcing, Storage, Training etc.

Does that answer your question -to some extent?

Balasubramanyam K and tony s like this.
  3. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Typically, once identified, the description of the sequence and interaction can be described using a "system-level map" like the one below:
    upload_2017-5-3_9-54-33.png

or a "process interaction matrix" to highlight the inputs and outputs like the one below:
    upload_2017-5-3_9-59-22.png

4. Balasubramanyam K

Balasubramanyam K Member

Dear Mr. Singh,

You are right, I have identified some of key processes like New product development, Production planning and production etc. but I am looking for whether can I identified all the key processes or any thing left. hope i explained

5. Balasubramanyam K

Balasubramanyam K Member

Mr. Tony, I think you posted an useful process interaction map, but it is not legible, unable to read. I request you to send me good one.

6. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

I got this interaction matrix from the sample quality manual previously uploaded here (I think by Jennifer Kirley). Check page 15 of the attached document.

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

7. charanjit singh

charanjit singh Member

Balasubramanyam, now that you have a lot of useful inputs, you can prepare your own list, map or matrix.

I have seen various classifications of management, core/key and support processes by different people. They vary somewhat depending upon their own unique perspective. So you can evolve your own taking into account the Scope of QMS of your organisation and the common features that you notice in the inputs you have received. For example, is Marketing a Key process or a Management Process? Or, is Materials Planning a key process or a Support Process, or a Management Process? No one is going to dispute your own choice, because opinions - and emphasis-vary. But some processes are quite clear, common to all opinions, like Management Review and Internal audits being Management Processes.Or Maintenance (in a Production organisation) as a Support process.

My personal opinion is -Keep it simple initially. As you go along gaining more and more insight you can breakup some processes into their components and place them wherever you think it is appropriate and brings in more clarity. Because an organisation of, say 50 persons may not need so much detail as an organisation of 500 even 2000 people. The reason I say this is because I have worked in organisations having less than 30, 200+ and also those having more than 3000 persons working for them.

8. Balasubramanyam K

Balasubramanyam K Member

Yes, I understood now. Thanks for the valuable inputs