1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Context of the Organization

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by The PPAP Assassin, Mar 20, 2017.

1. The PPAP Assassin

The PPAP Assassin Active Member

Hello!! I am a new member. Very glad to have found this forum. It appears there are a lot of resources here.

Question: Context of the Organization (Clause 4) in the new standard..

4.2 Understanding the need and expectations of interested parties

-When listing out "interested parties" can we be vague? Or do we need to go into exact detail, such as naming certain customers or suppliers? Or can we just say "customers" and "suppliers"?
    -Note: Instead of listing out "the requirements of these interested parties" in my C.O.T.E. template, I just made a category, "reason for interest". Should be kosher! I hope.

Thanks!

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Keep it simple. Customers, suppliers, stakeholders, employees. BTW why are you creating/using a "C.O.T.E" template?

3. The PPAP Assassin

I created one in excel. It's pretty basic. I guess I could have used the word "table". But there are 2 of them. One for listing out interested parties, and the reason for their interest and another one for identifying internal and external issues.

TimTim likes this.
  4. Andy Nichols

OK, so...

If you get behind the intent of your leadership needing to understanding the "context", then you might consider that management review is the perfect vehicle for documenting interested parties, internal and external issues and what needs to be done, through the design/implementation of the quality management system. By reference to ISO/TS 9002, it shows that the use of "SWOT" and "PEST" analysis are useful tools to uncover the internal and external issues. Once identified, these can be used to shape the way the quality system is defined and documented. For example, if you have a skilled workforce (strength) and they are approaching retirement age (threat), then there may need to be more emphasis placed on defining competencies and training programs (for apprentices let's say) or to retain "tribal" knowledge. The use of management review becomes a more strategic view, such that as the QMS is rolled out, it can be shown to be effective in addressing the identified issues.

5. The PPAP Assassin

Thank you. That is exactly how I gathered the data. The last management review I held, I went around the room asking questions and I took notes. I was just wondering how specific I need to be with who the interested parties are. I use SWOT charts for identifying strategic risk, maybe I can make one for COTO. I appreciate it!

Jennifer Kirley and Andy Nichols like this.
  6. MP480

MP480 Member

Welcome to the forum The PPAP Assassin! You will find some very knowledgeable people in this forum, such as Andy. I am lucky to have come across it.

For mine, I made a COTO Log in Excel. I have other tabs in this log such as: Risks, Opportunities, and my Interested Parties.

For the Interested Parties, I set a meeting with my manager and we reviewed over some items. We laid out the Interested Parties using very basic names like Suppliers, Customers, Local Community..ect. We also identified whether they were internal or external, the reason they are considered an interested party, and measurements/metrics that are affiliated to them.

Not sure if this has helped in any way. I'm still learning myself.

7. Peter Magon

Peter Magon New Member

I also included a column to demonstrate how we monitor and review them I.e. NCR's, OH&S Incidents etc... to satisfy the last line of the clause..."The organization shall monitor and review information about these interested parties and their relevant requirements"

The PPAP Assassin likes this.
  8. k_richer

k_richer Member

I kept mine decently vague, but we also in our last management review (first one since starting to upgrade to the 2015 standard) we discussed in detail our interested parties, and some of the "larger" risks our company will be faced with in the next coming years
    i.e. tribal knowledge (we have an older workforce who has really all been with the company 20+ years) and really making sure we have the younger generation in place here learning major things that we don't want our "older" guys taking with them when they retire"
    I actually mentioned to them that we may want to make a knowledge matrix, to make sure we don't have any huge gaps (we just recently had someone retire who had been here for almost 30 years, and the person who replaced him is brand new to the company so it's been interesting haha)

For the context of the organization, I really stressed that we kind of discuss these items at our management review, especially the internal and external factors.
    so for example the external factor that may be our biggest risk (Canadian company, who mostly does work for American automotive) is the new president and if he is going to implement higher taxes for incoming goods or what not. Something that we cannot control at all, but it's definitely been on our radar.

The PPAP Assassin likes this.
  9. Andy Nichols

Why?
    Perfect!

10. k_richer

k_richer Member

I should have specified, I kept my interested parties section in our updated quality manual vague. I mostly mentioned that it is discussed at management reviews.. This could change however after our external audit in the fall. But our auditors are pretty laid back, and I *hope* if they do say anything it would just be noted as an improvement opportunity

11. Andy Nichols

It's great to discuss this at management review - IMHO that's the perfect place. I am interested to know more about being "vague" about them in the manual. You aren't required to have them in the manual and other than simple categories, such as "suppliers", "stakeholders", "employees", "customers", "regulatory bodies" and so on, I can't see how you'd want to get more detailed...

Jennifer Kirley likes this.
  12. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

When we had our Strategic Planning session to set the strategic directions of the company, we considered the following:
    • internal and external issues (i.e. context) - as inputs to our SWOT analysis;
    • needs and expectations of interested parties - when we set objectives to support the strategic directions
    The outputs of the Strategic Planning (i.e. strategic directions) were utilized as inputs to our Operational Planning. On this level of planning, specific measurable objectives were determined as part of each department's performance plans. The departments' performance plans are then supported by tactics (i.e. plan of actions). Risks and opportunities were also analyzed during the Operational Planning to determine controls on our processes.

Below is our concept of QMS Planning:

upload_2017-4-3_11-42-17.png

13. The PPAP Assassin

This was very helpful! I might borrow some of these ideas. Thank you :)

14. The PPAP Assassin

Very helpful and detailed! I will take this into consideration and think about having my own strategic planning session here as a means to cover COTO requirements as well as to enhance general continual improvement.

-Started a new job 3 weeks ago. All we do here is coil buffing/ polishing, cut to length, grinding and slitting. Design exclusion :p and it's not even our material, we just process it. They do need help with their QMS though as it is very basic and outdated. Hence why I am here. I am so happy to be in a stress free non-design and non-automotive environment. The best QA jobs are ones like these I'll tell ya.. You couldn't pay me 150k to go back to automotive.. ha!

15. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Good for you!:)

16. joburum

joburum New Member

COTO log was used here as well. Simple and easy to update and review during Management Review.

17. Andy Nichols

In reading through these posts and having to (recently) guide clients who need to implement this requirements, I'm struggling to understand what "logs" and so on need to be maintained. An organization is required to determine their interested parties, needs and expectations, internal and external issues which can affect results (I'm paraphrasing, of course). ISO/TS 9002 gives guidance on the use of a SWOT or PEST type analysis and, from this both internal and external issues can be determined. It's clear that the purpose of the activities surrounding this requirement is to take a strategic look at the business with the outcome of identifying and deploying a plan to address the issues. (per 6.0)

To me, (at least) the perfect vehicle to do all this is the Management Review. Surely, simply putting these activities on the agenda to discuss, coming up with the S.W.O.T etc and then a plan is far simpler. Much of what is going to be discovered isn't going to be changing very much over the course of a year. Having done the initial work on establishing the context, creating the plan, the rest is monitoring the plan's implementation and results. I'm afraid that, as happened with various other parts of ISO 9001, a record was created and maintained and the only person who saw any benefit was the one who showed it to the CB auditor (because the CB auditor bought into the idea of a log).

MP480, tony s and Jennifer Kirley like this.
  18. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

What scares me is that the CB auditor, who bought into the idea of a log, will expect every organization must have it.:eek:

Andy Nichols likes this.
  19. The PPAP Assassin

Any chance you could screen shot me a blank version of your COTO log?

20. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

Invite him to show you the shall.

Suraiya Ramkissoon likes this.