1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

ISO17025: Equipment Calibration and Verification

Discussion in 'ISO 17025 - Calibration and Test Laboratories' started by Brayden Govender, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Brayden Govender

Brayden Govender New Member

Regarding equipment calibration and verifications: Testing Laboratory
    1. Acceptance Criteria - My understanding of an "acceptance criteria" in this case simply means that the item in question does not fall out of the tolerances set by the test method. What happens in the case that it is not specified by the test method the the equipment was intended for? I do understand that the manufacturers generally outline the min and max range of the apparatus.. any ideas guys?

2. steve gill

steve gill Member

Brayden, can you give an example of a piece of equipment youre thinking of?
    for me its a mitutoyo caliper (150mm)
    its tolerance would be +-1% accurate to get a 17025 cal cert.
    I don't know when you would set an acceptance criteria for calibration? I have to do it for interlab testing.

3. charanjit singh

charanjit singh Member

Brayden, can you please tell us which clause of ISO 17025 you are referring?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2017
  4. steve gill

steve gill Member

It sounds to me like tolerance would cover the min and max, from what I have seen as a 10 year ukas lab manager, acceptance criteria is related to interlaboratory tests, for instance if I sent the same screws to 10 labs and told them IF any lab gets a mean of 10 results that is outside an acceptance criteria of 10% (nominal), this would raise a "discussion thread".
    IF Charanjit runs a calibration house, then perhaps he should write on the cal cert;-
    a, requester specified 1%+- of an average of three readings
    b, the equipment manufacturer for 150mm calipers from Mitutoyo is 0.02mm, an, values outside of this range will flag a non conformance?

5. ron wild

ron wild New Member

Hi, hope all is well. im new to this forum and here for learning.

I am Just curious about this above sentence. Your speaking about "its tolerance would be +-1% accurate to get a 17025 cal cert".

The way i understand it is, the tolerance is related to the application being measured, whilst the accuracy is speaking about how well the caliper can measure.

For example, this mitutoyo caliper accuracy is plus or minus 20 microns (0.002mm), its not given as a percentage.

So, are you saying to pass the cal cert it would need to be accurate within 1% of its predicted accuracy?

Also have never heard people use the terminology of tolerance in relation to the measuring instrument itself.